recorvery tool

Last post 11-18-2010, 9:51 PM by JWeir. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • recorvery tool
    Posted: 11-13-2010, 6:36 AM

can anyione tell me where to download Media Explorer

• Re: recorvery tool
    Posted: 11-15-2010, 8:13 AM
  • Re: recovery tool
    Posted: 11-17-2010, 3:22 PM

Depending on what you need it for, I don't think the link above is the 'stand alone' version of ME and requires a media agent.  6.1 had a stand alone version where all you needed was a tape drive attached.  In a DR recovery situation you may need to get the ER data off the tape to recover the commcell before you have your media agents built.  I have used the 6.1 version to get the Simpana 8 Dr data off the tapes.  Anybody else have other procedures? 

Posted: 11-17-2010, 3:57 PM

mnahas,

Recoverying the ER/DR backup is the sole purpose of media explorer (DR tool for the 4.2 guys).  Yes, other APIs were added to its functionality which is why it was built around other portions of the "base client"

Since CV's archive structure has not changed, 6.1 ME has the ability to restore some 8.0 data.  It goes without saying that 8.0 specific agents that didnt exist when 6.1 ME was around probably wouldnt recover the data. 

Posted: 11-17-2010, 5:49 PM

Hello mnahas,

Indeed all needed files to install and execute Media Explorer are included within the zip. I did notice my link is not working correctly due to "\" in the URL. Let me clarify steps to grab this file.

Click this link

https://services.commvault.com/mainadv/resource_pack_browser.asp?fv=8.0&rpp

Navigate to Windows32 --> Media Management -->MediaExplorer

Right click MediaExplorer.zip then "Save target as" and drop it onto your server.

Once downloaded unzip the file and locate Setup.exe and install the program.

To execute media explorer drill down into the \CommVault\Simpana\Base directory and click MediaExplorer.exe to spawn the application.

Note: Medie Explorer must be running on a server that has the tape drive or magnetic disk you want to catalog.

Posted: 11-18-2010, 6:35 PM
    • zzz is not online. Last active: 12-03-2015, 7:57 PM zzz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Adept
    • Points 261

Hi SConnington,

Is there a version for Windows 2008 R2 OS? Looks like this one only can work on 32 bits.

Is MediaExplorer for CommVault tapes only?

Thank you.

Posted: 11-18-2010, 6:39 PM
    Looking into 64bit version. I thought we had one posted but can't find it.
    Posted: 11-18-2010, 7:51 PM

I believe you are correct, but you can use the reg key below to install 32-bit version of ME on x64bit machine.

Key : GalaxyInstallerFlags

Value : bAllow32BitInstallOn64Bit

DWord Value = 1

JW

Posted: 11-18-2010, 7:58 PM
    • zzz is not online. Last active: 12-03-2015, 7:57 PM zzz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Adept
    • Points 261

Thank you. It works.

Is ME for CommVault media only?

Posted: 11-18-2010, 9:51 PM

I believe that is the case.

JW

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy