Temp disable deduplication

Last post 03-20-2016, 5:50 AM by SameerPimpley. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Temp disable deduplication
    Posted: 03-14-2016, 5:04 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can tell me what happens when you disable deduplication temporarily.  Does it write every block to storage and leave the DDB out of the loop, or does it write each block in the DDB for future reference? 

I ask because we are running out of space on a DDB path and it will be a little while before we can get the necessary hardware to resolve the issue.  I have plenty of space for the storage target, so I was wondering the implications of disabling dedup temporarily and if that is the proper procedures to allowing backups to continue to run.

Also, we have Oracle DB backups going to this storage policy and that have deduplication disable on the client level so there is no deduplication.  Can you deduplicate Oracle DB backups?  If not, are there any problems with these clients being attached to a deduplication storage policy?

Thanks in advanced for the help!

John

• Re: Temp disable deduplication
    Posted: 03-20-2016, 5:50 AM

John

You can Dedupe oracle DB also but Dedupe ratio will be very low.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy