Exchange 2016 DAG without AAP

Last post 08-24-2016, 1:56 PM by Joe I.. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Exchange 2016 DAG without AAP
    Posted: 07-15-2016, 6:17 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to create a backup of Exchange 2016 DAG without an Administrative Access Point.

I created the DAG speudo client according to the manuals.

The wizard finds the DAG and the members after a discover.

However when trying to configure a backup, no databases are discovered.

Configuring a backup from the individual members does discover the databases, so the Agent can communicatie with Exchange.

Are there any special configurations to be done when using a DAG without an AAP ?

Regards,

Martijn

• Re: Exchange 2016 DAG without AAP
    Posted: 08-04-2016, 11:22 AM

Same issue here!

Did you find a solution, or dropped Support Ticket?

Regards,

Florian 

Posted: 08-04-2016, 1:16 PM

No special configuration is required for a DAG without an AAP.

When you click discover check the EVMGRS.LOG on the CommServe. It will tell you which server it is spawning the discovery process from.  Could you grab the monadccrproxy.log file from that server to review?

Posted: 08-09-2016, 6:14 AM

We're facing the same issue on a customer. The monadccrproxy.log, which is placed on one of the member servers, is just telling that it is not able to open the com. Since the database can be discovered via the agent, I thinkt it could be something related to DAG permissions?

Posted: 08-09-2016, 8:25 AM

Should not be related to permissions as the discovery process runs as 'local system'.  Could you let me know the exact error and update level you are currently running?  Is the error something like this:  this assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded ?

Posted: 08-10-2016, 6:09 AM

The error displayed in MonadCCRProxy.log is the following:

15988 7f98  08/10 09:36:52 ### [::main]: Parsing arguments...

15988 7f98  08/10 09:36:52 ### [::ParseMonadArgs]: Dag discover...

15988 7f98  08/10 09:36:52 ### Cvcl::init() - CVCL: Running in FIPS Mode

15988 7f98  08/10 09:36:52 ### [DagDiscoveryCache]: Cleanup discovery cache...

15988 7f98  08/10 09:36:52 ### [DiscoverDatabaseByPowershell]: Enumerate mailbox databases

15988 7f98  08/10 09:36:52 ### [DagDBDiscover]: Database discovery failed. Reason: COM Not Initialized, Error Code:-2147221005

Posted: 08-10-2016, 10:24 AM

Hi Martijn / Patrick,

I just got this fixed today for one of my customers. 

The key statement here is this: "COM Not Initialized" displayed in MonadCCRProxy.log

SOLUTION:

- From each DAG node, launch Windows CMD as Administrator and change directory to:

[C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\

- Now re-register the problem .DLL:

\RegAsm.exe "C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\MonadCmdletDotNet4.dll"]

That should solve the problem.

We are writing a technote on this tomorrow.

Kind Regards

Jim

Posted: 08-11-2016, 2:42 AM

Thanks, this solved my problem as well. Sadly I'm not the initiator of this post, so I'm not able to mark this as solution.

Thanks once more!

Posted: 08-11-2016, 8:19 AM

Hi Martijn,

When you get a chance, please mark this as resolved.

Thank you

Jim

Posted: 08-22-2016, 7:19 AM

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been on vacation the last 3 weeks.

Thank you for the solution.

Do you know weither this solution will also be implemented with a patch or future SP ?

I guess this is a 'glitch' in the installer for the Exchange Agent ?

Regards,

Martijn

Posted: 08-22-2016, 11:13 PM

Hi Martijn,

Yes, future SP will take care of that.

Regards

Jim

Posted: 08-24-2016, 1:55 PM

We were having issues that alos relate to this.

The first was that we could not find the clients associated with the DAG,

And the other was we were not able to do a restore to an RDB.

Re-registering the dll fixed both issues.

Here is the response I received when asked about why this happened:

"Development found an issue in v11 SP4 where the MonadCmdlets.dll get registered with .Net 2.0 instead of .Net 4.0. This will be addressed in service pack 5. "

Soon,

Joe

Posted: 08-24-2016, 1:56 PM

We were having issues that also relate to this.

The first was that we could not find the clients associated with the DAG,

And the other was we were not able to do a restore to an RDB.

Re-registering the dll fixed both issues.

Here is the response I received when asked about why this happened:

"Development found an issue in v11 SP4 where the MonadCmdlets.dll get registered with .Net 2.0 instead of .Net 4.0. This will be addressed in service pack 5. "

Soon,

Joe

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy