CommVault Forums

Solving Forward - Solving Together
Welcome to CommVault Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in

Moving Commserve to new server that is currently a media agent

Last post 12-09-2010, 2:09 PM by mba. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Moving Commserve to new server that is currently a media agent
    Posted: 11-30-2010, 2:37 PM

We recently put up a new server and installed it as a Media agent only to host a new tape library and disk library that we are migrating to. The old server is out of warranty and is runs the Commserve and Media agent functionality. The media related to the old server should be aged off in the next couple of weeks. What I want to do is move the Commserve to the new server and have it become the new and only Commserver and Media Agent as the old server was. I know I'll have to perform the DR procedure on the new server to do this.

If I do a name and IP address change when doing this will this preserve the Media agent configuration on the new server? If not can I move the libraries to the old server, do a DR backup and then restore to the new server keeping the old name and IP address?

Thanks

• Re: Moving Commserve to new server that is currently a media agent
    Posted: 12-01-2010, 9:52 AM

As long as you keep the IP address and name (which is tied to the license key)you should be ok, if the media agent you are promoting is part of the same commcell. It may be an easier project to move the Commserver to a second server or VM the existing CS.

The first step is to talk to your SE and go over the options that are the best for your environment(ie.. CommCell merge, DR restore or VM the CommServer) This will help minimize the downtime and also help your frustration level. 

Posted: 12-01-2010, 4:38 PM

The most painless way to accomplish this is to acquire a temporary Media Agent license if you do not have an extra available Media Agent license and either a shared library license or extra library license to complete the install/migration.

For the purpose of this email I am going to refer to the original CommServe/Media agent as machine [CommserveA] the target install media agent [MediaAgentB] and the rename of the media agent as [MediaAgentB_OLD]

Contact your sales team for the CSID change license.

Run a DRbackup before any configuration changes!

1. Verify that all storage policy copy sets are pointed to [MediaAgentB]
    2. Verify there are no libraries or storage policies configured to media agent [CommserveA]
    3. Rename media agent [MediaAgentB] in the CommCell console GUI to [MediaAgentB_OLD]
    4. Perform a Disaster recovery backup on [CommserveA] and save this backup in a safe location.
    5. On [MediaAgentB] preserve the index cache (not necessary) by locating the index cache and saving to a temp directory
    6. On [MediaAgentB] uninstall the Media agent software.
    7. Perform a fresh install of the 8.0 Commserve software first only (do not install any other platforms at this time).
    8. Restore the Disaster recovery backup using the DR restore GUI in the CommVault base directory. (You can refer to the commserve rebuild guide for step by step instructions and screen shots)

10.  Using DR restore GUI Perform name change operation (this will change the database name from [CommserveA] to [MediaAgentB]

11.  Apply CSID change license you receive from the sales team.

12.  Install the media agent software.

13.  Copy the index cache into the location specified during the install of media agent [MediaAgentB]

14.  Apply the latest service pack.

15.  Next configure the library and drives on media agent [MediaAgentB]

• Launch the Library and drive config tool from the control panel.
    • Select the new Media Agent [MediaAgentB]
    • Select Start and detect and configure the library and drives
    • Exit Library and Drive Config tool.

16.  From the CommCell browser. Expand Storage resources ' MediaAgents select media agent [MediaAgentB_OLD] select the tape old library and right click and "Mark all media exported."  This is necessary to let the DB know that the tapes are no longer in that library, before we perform migrations.

17.  Once the media has been marked exported, we must change data path for each storage policy copyset, for every storage policy associated with the old MediaAgent [MediaAgentB_OLD].  In order to perform this task, review each storage policy and see which copysets are used by the old media agent.

• Expand Policies ' Storage Policies
    • Select all tasks change datapath. 
    • The list of tapes will come up, select ok.  It will ask which library to migrate to. 
    • Select the library on the new MediaAgent [MediaAgentB] and the appropriate Drive Pool and Scratch Pool, select ok.

18.  This will migrate the media for the copy set from the old MediaAgent [MediaAgentB_OLD] to the new MediaAgent [MediaAgentB].

19.  If there are also magnetic libraries configured on [MediaAgentB_OLD] they also need to be logically migrated from [MediaAgentB_OLD] to [MediaAgentB] To do so, on the magnetic library, right click and select migrate magnetic library. On the drop down menu, select the [MediaAgentB]

20.  Once everything has been migrated, the new Media Agent [MediaAgentB] will be setup successfully.

21.  Now, you can delete the old Media Agent [MediaAgentB _OLD]. 

• Launch the Library and Drive Config Tool from the Control Panel
    • Select the old Media Agent [MediaAgentB _OLD] and Deconfigure all drives and libraries associated with old Media Agent. Once deconfigured, delete them.
    • Exit the Library and Drive Config Tool

22.  From the CommCell Browser right click on the old Media Agent [MediaAgentB _OLD] and select Deconfigure.  Once deconfigured, right click and delete.

Posted: 12-01-2010, 4:38 PM

This is not exactly a 1-2 process there are a lot of steps to perform. We will get that together and post for you shortly.

Thanks,

Bill

Posted: 12-02-2010, 11:13 AM

I like the idea of putting the Commserver on a VM. I'll ask our SE about it.

Posted: 12-02-2010, 11:24 AM

I am running this type of set up,  CS is a VM and the MA's are Physical, and this is working out great. Allows me to use some HA solutions from VM ware and not have to go to the trouble of rebuilding the CS in the event of a disaster. Have yet to find any downside to it.

Posted: 12-03-2010, 4:32 AM

I agree, wanted to seperate Commserve and Media Agent almost as soon as it was installed.

Just something as simple as being able to restart the Media Agent Server (installing new hardware etc.) without losing the commserve makes it worth it, as well as using the HA features of VMware as has been mentioned.

Next step move DB from Commserve to SQL cluster Laughing

Posted: 12-09-2010, 2:09 PM

"Next step move DB from Commserve to SQL cluster "

Technically possible, however, in the field I saw some issues with this:

1. CV Updates (CV database related patches) might fail in some cases.

2. Some other features like CommNet and CommCell Explorer might not work properly as they need direct DB access and the CC DB is not local. Also, reimport of backup metadata using MediaExplorer might require some additional steps.

3. CS DR backup/restore does not work in a regular way so that you might want to care about an alternative

Please check if these points are applicable/important to you first before moving the CC DB off the CS. If not, feel free to go for it.

Markus

Regards,
    MBA
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of CommVault Systems, Inc. ("CommVault") and CommVault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, CommVault.
CommVault, CommVault and logo, the “CV” logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2014 CommVault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy