11sp7 Synchronize All DDBs disabled

Last post 05-09-2019, 3:01 AM by Wwong. 16 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11sp7 Synchronize All DDBs disabled
    Posted: 04-02-2017, 5:54 AM

Hi,

I've recently recovered the DDB into a different disk. Process completed to 100% but partitions are in maintenance as it should be if it detects any inconsistency.

According to this http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/deduplication/t_resynchronizing_the_ddb.htm I need to Use Deduplication Database (DDB) Resynchronization to bring the DDB online and revert it to a reusable state.

Procedure

1. From the CommCell Browser, expand Storage Resources.
    2. Right-click the Deduplication Engines and then click Synchronize All DDBs.
    3. In the Synchronize All DDBs dialog box, click Yes. 

However I cannot run it since the option "Synchronize All DDBs" is disabled (greyed out) from the context menu.

I don't know if it needs to be enabled somewhere else or any DDB state that automatically disables it. I haven't been able to find anything in the documentation.

Any help would be apreciated. 

Attachment: syncddbs.png
  • Re: 11sp7 Synchronize All DDBs disabled
    Posted: 06-19-2017, 6:42 PM

I am currently in the same situtation, I have a case open with support today should know by tomorrow afternoon. I can't run validation and it continues to reconstuct the DB but that agent stays offline.

Posted: 06-20-2017, 9:19 AM

Typically the option is greyed out if the attempts to resync have been fulfilled.... I.e too many tries.

Set this reg key to allow the resync process another attempt.

Name: nMaxDDBResyncAttempts
    Category: MediaManager
    Type: Integer
    Value: 20 
    Posted: 06-20-2017, 9:21 AM

oh also restart MediaManager after setting this make sure no jobs are running first

Posted: 06-20-2017, 9:41 AM

I attempted it, still doesnt' allow the resync option to be selected. I am still waiting to see what support comes back with. I was hoping there was a command i could run from the CLI that would allow a resync of a specific ddb instead of having to do all of them at once.

Posted: 06-20-2017, 9:51 AM

Show me a screen shot of where you made the registry change.

Posted: 07-02-2018, 11:13 PM

Can you select two levels down and screen shot the results, it should tell you why its showing as a problem

Posted: 05-07-2019, 1:11 PM

Hey,

I have the same problem.

I virtualized the commserve today, resync for all of the databases deduplication worked exept for one.

The database partition have the status : maintenance (needs resync) and the option synchronize all ddbs" is greyed out.

@mmagbee : you workaround work? If yes, could you explain where exactly i must add the key in registry?

Someone as other idea?

Thank for your answer,

Johann

Posted: 05-07-2019, 1:54 PM

Yes it worked. 

Right click your commcell ID in the top left of your commcell commserv and choose properties.

Click the tab Addtional settings.

Add it in there

Posted: 05-07-2019, 2:10 PM

Thank you,

Unfortunately nMaxDDBResyncAttempts is not in the suggested list, I'm in v10sp15.

Regards,

Posted: 05-07-2019, 2:19 PM

You have to type it in

Posted: 05-07-2019, 2:32 PM

I added the key like you indicated, but the option " synchronize all ddbs" on deduplication engines is still greyed out.

When you say "restart MediaManager", it mean restart the Commvault media & library manager service trought the process manager? I did it but no change.

Posted: 05-07-2019, 2:36 PM

Hrm, You may have to call support. That is the only way to accomplish this.

Posted: 05-07-2019, 2:40 PM

I did it, I wait for their answer.

Thank for your time mmagbee;)

Posted: 05-07-2019, 6:35 PM

Hi Johan & All

By design once DDB Re-Sync is initiated you don't need to re-run it (that is why it is greyed out), the default is setting is DDB Re-sync will attempt 5 times and then will report failure. 

The purpose of the additional setting "nMaxDDBResyncAttempts" is to allow more retry attempts for the re-sync - in this case "20" 

As the issue is still persistent, can you open and share the MediaManager.log (on the CommServe), and filter on "Store [#]", replace [#] with the DDB Engine ID (found as the second expanded option under Deduplication Engine, for the specify Store). 

The purpose is to understand why the DDB re-sync is failing/not progressing. 

Additional Info - depending on the Service Pack you are on, please ensure the following Hot Fix is applied:

Note - the purpose of restarting Media Manager Service (on the CommServe) can also helps, as we will attempt to send the re-sync request when the service starts up (however this service is used to manage and allocate resource from a CommServe perspective, so suspend any running jobs when doing so). 

Regards

Winston  

Posted: 05-08-2019, 6:06 AM

Hey,

I added the additionnal setting on the commserve as asked and restarted the media manager service, but the situation doesn't change.

The support tell me that the resynch failed at the sanity check.

So the next step is to rebuilt the DDB, I would like to do it but when I want to start the task, Commvault software say that the "Deduplication Database is currently under maintenance", the job cannot be submit.

What can i do to rebuilt the DDB?

Regards,
    Johann

Posted: 05-09-2019, 3:01 AM

Hi Johann

If the DDB failed sanity check, that means the time on the DDB is ahead/behind the CommServe recorded time. 

DDB rebuild refers to DDB recon where the DDB needs to be "Marked for Recovery" at the DDB Parttion Level, and then Trigger the DDB Recon at the DDB Engine level. 

However because the DDB is in a maintenance state, Support will most likely need to engage Development to get a script to reset the DDBMaintenanceFlag. 

Please consult with your support engineer if you are stuck on any steps. 

Regards

Winston

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy