Low Throughput since Upgrade to V11

Last post 06-16-2017, 11:24 AM by seabird. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Low Throughput since Upgrade to V11
    Posted: 05-23-2017, 5:07 AM

Hi All

Hopefully someone can advise, I have had a ticket open with commvault, but the support tech has just put it down to network.

However, I don't see what is going on with this, as it used to be fine, so here goes.

We have upgraded from V10 to V11, replaced our media agent and storage (moved from iSCSI to 12GB SAS - 2 x 12GB SAS connections with MPIO) DDB's are on SSD storage connected by 2 x 12GB SAS with MPIO.

We created a new aux copy, synced to the new hardware, promoted to primary copy.

We backup a couple of remote sites, one of which is on the end of a 6mb MPLS circuit. Previously this hasnt been an issue for backups - we did fulls at the weekend, and incrementals overnight. 

Prior to the upgrade, the stats for jobs for the machines on the remote site:

Full - Size of Application1.65TB - Data Written 9.6GB Duration 23:19 - Throughput 72.97GB/Hr

Incremental - Size of Application 27.75GB - Data Written 1.62GB Duration 2:17 - Thoughput 14.77GB/Hr

After the upgrade:

Full - its still going, been running for 3 days with 80 days remaining at 0.92GB/Hr

Incremental -  Size of Application 36.03GB - Data Written 4.39GB Duration 38:42 - Thoughput 1.07 GB/Hr

I don't get why the throughput has dropped so considerably, i presume its something to do with the deduplication or something else I am missing

Backups on the local site are fine, and are faster that they were on the old hardware, so i dont think its a hardware issue. I know the link is slow, but something seems to have changed as this has been fine for 4 years or so.

Any ideas?

• Re: Low Throughput since Upgrade to V11
    Posted: 06-16-2017, 11:24 AM

New media agent if I read this right. I would check network flow first (packet captures or just looking at stats at the hw layer first). Replacing an MA seems simple enough but I'd verify the lower levels of the stack are working as expected and not getting endless retransmissions and such.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy