Basic tape backup questions

Last post 06-16-2017, 3:07 PM by JohnB352. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Basic tape backup questions
    Posted: 06-14-2017, 9:56 AM

We've been backing up to disk for 4+ years now, but mgt would like another layer of protection, so we're going to add tape backups.

A couple questions:

1. How do you add a new Storage Policy, and point it to the tape drive?  By the way, I couldn't add the tape drive to an existing Media Agent, so we added a new server, made it a MA, and connected the drive to it.  If I just go into the GUI and go to the Policies>Storage Policies node, and select "add a new storage policy", I don't get an option to choose a MA.
    2. Should I create a new DDB, or use an existing one?  We currently have 2 DDBs.  One is used just for file servers, the other for everything else.
    Thanks.
  • Re: Basic tape backup questions
    Posted: 06-15-2017, 11:02 PM
    1. You can add a Tape Drive to existing MA. There is no technical reason to create a new MA to add tape drive and in fact to create copies it is better to use the same MA to copy data LAN Free
    2. Please see doc on configuring tape drive here
    http://docs.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/tape_library/getting_started.htm
    3. Create a new copy under existing storage policy and select this Tape Library as the DataPath. There is no need to create a separate storage policy. To add extra copy you just need to create a new copy
    http://docs.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/storage_policy_copy/synchronous_copy.htm

Rajiv Kottomtharayil
    Developer,Commvault
  • Re: Basic tape backup questions
    Posted: 06-16-2017, 3:07 PM

We had a technical reason for adding a new MA;  the new tape drive we have is LTO-7, the MA is running Server 2008 R2, and that OS does not support LTO-7, for this tape drive.

So unfortunately, it will be over the LAN.  Thanks for the BOL doc, that helps.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy