declining space on disk library

Last post 10-12-2017, 10:25 AM by vpru. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • declining space on disk library
    Posted: 10-09-2017, 1:53 AM

Hi All,

I've recently inherited our Commvault environment from a colleague who no longer works for the company, and I'm hoping someone can assist me with an issue regarding free space on one of my disk libraries. Over the course of the last week, available disk space on one of my disk libraries has been rapidly declining, and as a result jobs would constantly stall until enough data was aged out to free up available disk space. Looking at the properties, it seems that space is being filled up quicker than the data can be aged out.

I've checked total disk usage for all our libraries and it totals to 219TB, whereas our licence capacity is currently at 136TB. This doesn't seem right to me. Would this be normal?

I'm looking to do 2 things:

a) In the short term, I want to free up some space in order to have our backups continue uninterrupted. I currently have our monthly tape copies running. What would be the best way to delete jobs from disk that have gone to tape? Just view the jobs on both tape and disk copies and compare job numbers? Is there a quick solution to this? If it helps, our current retention cycle is 4 weeks/30 days, so simply running aging as the tape copies run won't work as a lot of the data will be retained until this period reaches it's limit. Would I simply be able to change the retention period to something like 1 week and run data aging?

b) I want to work out what's causing the spike in data growth, and what's chewing up all the available space on this particular disk library. I've gone through the reports but I couldn't see anything that would give me a breakdown on individual disk libraries. I've checked our Commcell growth over a 4 week period and it's massive, which worries me.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nuri

• Re: declining space on disk library
    Posted: 10-09-2017, 2:21 PM

Hi Nuri,

Though you are looking for two things we will answer all three here.

1. I've checked total disk usage for all our libraries and it totals to 219TB, whereas our licence capacity is currently at 136TB. This doesn't seem right to me. Would this be normal?

-- This is happening because we are saving with deduplication.

2. In the short term, I want to free up some space in order to have our backups continue uninterrupted. I currently have our monthly tape copies running. What would be the best way to delete jobs from disk that have gone to tape? Just view the jobs on both tape and disk copies and compare job numbers? Is there a quick solution to this? If it helps, our current retention cycle is 4 weeks/30 days, so simply running aging as the tape copies run won't work as a lot of the data will be retained until this period reaches it's limit. Would I simply be able to change the retention period to something like 1 week and run data aging?

-- Data Retention is “Cycles AND Number of days” for example 4 cycles and 30 days so data when meets 4 cycles and also 30 days criteria will be picked for aging (also secondary copy should not be waiting for this data to be copied as well), changing aging criteria will definitely help free up space from primary library.

Note: Cycle one full to next full.

3. I want to work out what's causing the spike in data growth, and what's chewing up all the available space on this particular disk library. I've gone through the reports but I couldn't see anything that would give me a breakdown on individual disk libraries. I've checked our Commcell growth over a 4 week period and it's massive, which worries me.

-- This can be looked at Mount Paths Space Usage and Data Written Distribution by Copies and Space Usage History to know where this data growth is coming from.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/disk_library/t_monitoring_disk_library.htm 

Thanks

Nikhil Gupta

Posted: 10-09-2017, 3:26 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 10-10-2017, 11:24 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Would also suggest to speak with someone in the Account team to have a health check, many of the settings you have already in place may have good reason tied to them, and moreover ensure you are meeting your companies data compliance policies.

Lowering retention could clear space, however, may limit your time to restore especially if its something you need in an emergency, so just something to think about before dropping retention settings.

If you're unable to get feedback or a solution in a timely manner please call the Support hotline and log an incident, running out of space can get tricky especially when the weekend approaches for your Fulls I'm presuming.

Posted: 10-09-2017, 6:12 PM

Hello Nuri, there are multiple reports which can give you the information about the data growth.

these reports can be accessed on your local Private metrics if you have one or you can access them on Cloud.commvault.com

Can you please let me know your CommCell ID so that we can point you to the  reports on Cloud.commvault.com  that will give this information.

in Metrics Reports, you can check for Growth & Trends 

Report : http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/reports/metrics/t_rptm_growth_trends_view_report.htm

Thanks

Venkat

Posted: 10-12-2017, 10:25 AM

Quick way to see which client is eating up so much of your disk library space.Got to mount path and browse the jobs.It shows you all valid jobs on the mount path.Sort out the data written size.You can definitely figure out the clients occupying large space.

Make sure you are using deduplication either from commvault or from media end.If deduplication is being done from commvault end,make sure your clients are configured with enable deduplication option which is a default option.You can find these clients easily when u browse jobs from mountpaths,there will be jobs whose application data and data written will be same. I caught some of these clients in our environment.

Also there is a Qscript which gives you the largest clients directly

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy