The first server on the Copy Redundancy SLA report is APP-ALMP101 which is reported as "Missed Copy Redundancy". When I check that server, it is in a storage policy that has three copies:
- 3-TapeMonthly (selective copy)
The last backup of this server was yesterday at 4:30 PM. If I go to the storage policy, right-click on 2-DashToDR and select View > Media Not Copied, I get "There are no items to show in this view". So the DashToDR copy has completed successfully. (For the record the previous back up was the day before that so it's not a weekend scheduling issue.) I am at a lose to explain why this server appears on the report. I'm also hesitant to open a ticket with support as I've opened 11 so far this year and it's only Feb 14th. Some days it seems CommVault generates problems faster than I can fix them.
Sorry - got off on a bit of a tenget there. I'm greatful for any suggestion of why all my reports are showing up as missing the SLA when my CommVault installation appears to be working perfectly.