Failed to get host name (W2K3)

Last post 05-17-2018, 12:16 PM by tsmtmiller. 17 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Failed to get host name (W2K3)
    Posted: 05-09-2018, 12:09 PM

We have a W2k3 R2 client we recently added. We pushed the software through the console and it installed fine. backup jobs ran and are working. Out came CV updates and this client was failing to install the updates via console. So I downloaded the Update Pack and tried to install it manually but I get an error: "Failed to Get Host Name" when running the InstallUpdates.exe. Any ideas?

Attachment: 1.jpg
  • Re: Failed to get host name (W2K3)
    Posted: 05-09-2018, 12:17 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 05-17-2018, 5:35 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Expert
    • Points 1,304

Check the physical hostname exists on the client in the registry and has the same output as a 'hostname' from the command prompt.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance001\sPhysicalNodeName

Posted: 05-09-2018, 12:24 PM

There is no sPhysicalNodeName entry

Posted: 05-09-2018, 4:20 PM

The client install is totally botched now. Is there a way to remove and re-install the client without losing data that was backed up? 

Posted: 05-09-2018, 4:49 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Expert
    • Points 1,304
    if the hostname is missing you can just create the key and cycle services. if you need to reinstall follow the steps below.

I am including the instructions for a manual uninstall of CommVault from any Client Machine. Please let me know if this agent is also a Media Agent or an application such as CDR or File Archiver that has a kernel level driver as this would be a similar procedure but there are some additional things to look out for. This process is quick and relatively painless and will accomplish the same task as the Add/Remove from the Control Panel.

1) Stop the CommVault Services on the Client

2) Navigate to the installation drive under Program Files remove the CommVault and/or CommVault Systems Folder

3) Export the registry

4) Open the registry and delete the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GxCVD(Instancexxx)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GxEvMgrC(Instancexxx)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\GXHSM Recaller(Instancexxx)

Please note in versions earlier than 7.0, Instancexxx would be ControlSetxxx

5) Once the registry keys and the installation folder are removed you can then reinstall the agent using the same client and host name.
    Posted: 05-09-2018, 5:38 PM

It was getting further after your steps but again ultimately failed. Here is the log

Posted: 05-09-2018, 5:49 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Expert
    • Points 1,304

Run this MSFT utility against it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

Posted: 05-10-2018, 9:23 AM

MSFT utility doesnt work on Windows 2003

Posted: 05-10-2018, 10:20 AM

The install is totally messed up and is not uninstalling. I cannot get support because I have to go through a 3rd party who are off on vacation. 

Posted: 05-10-2018, 10:59 AM

We opened the server to the internet and ran the IntelliSnapforNetApp_R80_SP11_14March18 and it fails. 

Posted: 05-10-2018, 5:20 PM

can you share Commvault_ContentStore_xxx.log for corresponding failure time from under %temp% (sort by date modified).

Posted: 05-10-2018, 5:34 PM
    Attached
    Attachment: CVLog.txt
    Posted: 05-11-2018, 5:18 PM

1) Is your win2k3 setup a 32bit or x64?

2) from %temp%, can you share Commvault Contentstore log file having name '

'WindowsFileSystemiDataAgentCore' in the log file name? 
    Posted: 05-16-2018, 2:46 PM

I went all the way back to v11SP8 and it still fails to install. The client software just wont install. I had V11SP11 installed fine and working. After the hotfixes were released and wouldnt install, I should have just left it alone. In the attachement you can see the services are still installed. Trying to install SP11SP8 produced a new error code. I have support in on this now and their suggestion: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=3602.htm did not work either. 

Attachment: CAH.jpg SMSlog.jpg
    Posted: 05-16-2018, 3:20 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Expert
    • Points 1,304

Going backwards in the installation version shouldn't be an option here. What ticket number is this? 

Posted: 05-17-2018, 7:49 AM

tsmtmiller:

I went all the way back to v11SP8 and it still fails to install. The client software just wont install. I had V11SP11 installed fine and working. After the hotfixes were released and wouldnt install, I should have just left it alone. In the attachement you can see the services are still installed. Trying to install SP11SP8 produced a new error code. I have support in on this now and their suggestion: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=3602.htm did not work either. 

Try this for a clean starting point:

1. uninstall all remaining commvault packages
    2. export/backup and then delete registry entries
      1. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems
      2. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GalaxyInstallerFlags
      3. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GalaxyRemoteInstall
    3. delete remaining commvault folder, under program files location unless manually defined otherwise
    4. open command prompt with elevated rights and delete commvault services with command SC DELETE shortservicename
      where shortservicename corresponds with the "Service name" in the properties of the service.
    5. reboot
    6. install software again
    Posted: 05-17-2018, 11:58 AM

Aplynx:

Going backwards in the installation version shouldn't be an option here. What ticket number is this? 

The ticket 1805-05721 but its through a service provider and not directly with CV. They gave me this: http://errortools.com/windows/fix-0x80070643-error-code/ - I removed everything including the services, but I have to wait to reboot it since its a file share.  

Posted: 05-17-2018, 12:16 PM

Aplynx:

The ticket 1805-05721 but its through a service provider and not directly with CV. They gave me this: http://errortools.com/windows/fix-0x80070643-error-code/ - I removed everything including the services, but I have to wait to reboot it since its a file share.  

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy