Selective copy to tape includes incrementals, preventing tapes from aging

Last post 06-05-2018, 9:53 AM by seabird. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Selective copy to tape includes incrementals, preventing tapes from aging
    Posted: 05-15-2018, 12:01 PM

Hi,

Trying to understand why or how some client incrementals are making their way onto tapes via selective copy jobs where only fulls are picked (automatically that is). The clients happen to be MS SQL servers and it's their default FS SC inc jobs which are getting snagged about once per week, but not aligning with the full DB backups, so it isn't DB-related from what I can tell. Is this by design? No other clients inc's are getting copied to tape but clearly these incs are preventing aging from occuring and as such I'm about out of tapes.

Should I just open a case on this?

thanks

• Re: Selective copy to tape includes incrementals, preventing tapes from aging
    Posted: 05-15-2018, 6:55 PM

Hi Seabird

That's correct, Selective Copy should not be picking up incrementals for MS SQL. The only exception is for "Selective Copy for Oracle, Oracle RAC and SAP for Oracle agents" -> where an online selective full is required

Documentation - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/storage_policy_copy/selective_copy.htm

In you scenario, that does not look like the case. 

Can you please confirm whether you have been modifying the setting (in the properties of Secondary Copy) under the Tab "Copy Policy" "All Backups" to an older date?

Furthermore if this issue is concerning, I do recommend to open a ticket with Support

Thank you 

Winston 

Posted: 05-17-2018, 7:56 AM

ticket is open and being looked at.

Posted: 05-29-2018, 9:50 AM

The most likely reason for the incremental jobs to be selected for DB based jobs would be because of a failure in the Full backup for a particular DB.

Eg.

- you have a subclient with 5 SQL DB's

- Full backup completed with errors

- 1 DB out of 5 failed on the Full bakcup

- next incremental job successfully backs up the 1 DB missed during Full and will auto back it i up as full for that 1 DB only

- this incremental will now qualify for Selective copy along with the Full 

Posted: 06-05-2018, 9:53 AM

yeah, no, that isn't it. What was discovered was a bunch of files flagged for backup even though the modified times weren't changed in months (or years). Has to do with the box Synchronize Source Files and Backup Index I believe. And in fact this problem is not isolated to tape copies - the problem exists for "any" selective full regardless of disk or tape. Support's looking into it.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy