Cloud Restore in DR Scenario

Last post 05-17-2018, 10:03 AM by Jason@31Comp. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Cloud Restore in DR Scenario
    Posted: 05-16-2018, 8:11 AM

Hello everyone.  I'm new to CommVault and was hoping someone more experienced could answer a few questions.  

My environment consists of a single AHV cluster supporting 10 VMs.  I'm using CommVault to backup the VMs to a disk storage with an aux copy to the cloud (Azure).  

In a DR where I lose my entire datacenter, do I actually need the DDB or CommVault DR backup to restore from the cloud?

I've been attempting to simulate a recovery by creating a new server, installing a fresh copy of CommVault, then adding the cloud storage.  When I attempt to browse the cloud storage it says it is empty.  I've read over the DR and Media Recovery doc but haven't been able to determine exactly what I need to do.

I've also attempted to use the CommVault DR backup and restore that on the new server.  After the restore, all of the configuration appears like my it does in the source server but I still am unable to browse the cloud storage.  

Am I going down the correct path or is there something I'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

• Re: Cloud Restore in DR Scenario
    Posted: 05-16-2018, 10:18 AM

Hi Jason,

No the DDB is not needed for restores, the needed references for restores are in place on the disklibrary.

A DR backup is needed if your Commserve is down as well, you need to rebuild OS for the Commserve VM, install Commvault with same SP/patch level, restore the DR and then you can perform the restore.
    You might want to install a DR Commserve to prevent a rebuild of the VM, then you can just power up and restore the DR or you can configure more automated DR constructions so you are good to go when all goes down on the primary site.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=43510.htm

You should be able to perform a browse on the secondary copy at that point.

Did you perform a direct connect to the cloud storage or is it running via a proxy setup?

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 05-16-2018, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I am performing a direct connection to the cloud storage.

Is there a method to restore from the cloud without the DR backup?  If not, then it looks like I'll have to create another backup process to store the Commserve DR files offsite.

Posted: 05-16-2018, 10:50 AM

No it is not possible without the DR backup.
    Correct, you will have to provide a copy offsite which is directly available on a file system location. Assuming you want to rebuild the situation. If you want to save time I recommend looking at the automated options OR (if costs and bandwith are allowed) place your commserve in the cloud so it will be still available when the on premise location fails.
    Saying this please realize that I do not know the rest of your Commserve config and cannot determain if other processes are affected by such a relocation.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 05-17-2018, 10:03 AM

I was able to successfully restore one of the VMs after loading the DR backup to my newly created CommVault server.  

Thanks for your advice and I'll look into the best backup of the CV server for our budget.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy