fastest way to find out whether a VM is backed up?

Last post 11-21-2018, 6:03 PM by Ananda V. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • fastest way to find out whether a VM is backed up?
    Posted: 08-02-2018, 4:39 PM

Hi,

The Commvault I inherited has VM subclients all over the places. Is there an easist way to find out whether a particular VM has been included in a backup? I could have Commcell console to show VMs in adddition to physical hosts but I have 100s if not 1000 VMs (presumably were included because it was discovered) and it almost hangs my Console and I had to restart the console for it to show. I could also do reports but it's not that straightforward. I am hoping there is a real easy way to look up whether a VM is being backed up.

Please advise. Thanks,

• Re: fastest way to find out whether a VM is backed up?
    Posted: 08-03-2018, 2:12 PM

Hi there,

You have a few reports in the Web console which could be useful:

VM Backup

VM Backup Coverage Report

Virtual Machine Protection in Last 30 Days

Hope it helps

Mat

Posted: 08-10-2018, 10:42 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 12-12-2018, 2:21 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,455

If the machine isn't seen in the GUI, open control panel and go to user preferences and choose to show virtually discovered machines. Find the machine (you can cntl+f) in the client list. Right click on the client name (not Windows FS or anything beneath) and look at the job history. You should see a virtual job if its being backed up by the VSA.

Posted: 08-31-2018, 2:45 PM

From the Report Selection screen choose "License Summary" on the left.

On the right, under "usage based licenses" check off VM.

To make it easier to read/sort/search, on the Output tab at the top select for the format "text and comma delemited.  Open it in Excel.

I use that all the time for VMs

Posted: 09-07-2018, 9:33 AM

Go to Tools > Users Preferences > Client Computer Filter

Make sure "Show Virtual Machines" is checked. Let the client list refresh and you should see VMs with greyed out icon.

Posted: 09-08-2018, 12:56 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 12-12-2018, 2:21 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,455

If I'm not mistaken, there is typically an automatic group created for each Virtual Server iDA as well. 

Running a job summary report for the VSA client in question or a Job ID with 'protected machines' enabled in the options will show you the list of machines that were backed up. 

Posted: 11-21-2018, 12:24 PM

You can actually get that info out of VMware if that's any easier.  CommVault sets a Last Backup attribute for each VM.  You can view the VMs for a host or for a datacenter, then add the field named "Last Backup".  Up until vSphere 6.5 you could even sort by that field.  If you are on 6.5 you can export the VMs into a CSV file and sort or filter via Excel or whatever as an alternative.

If you've got some background in PowerShell, you can query your vCenter for this info that way too, outputting it to straight text, csv, etc.

Posted: 11-21-2018, 6:03 PM

Easiest and quickest way to check if VM backedup or not is run powershell command

Get-LastBackup -VMName <MyVM>

if you want to get whole list of protected or not protected Vms

.Example
    Get-VMlist -Filter Protected --> lists all protected VMs
    .Example
    Get-VMlist -Filter UnProtected -->lists all Unprotected VMs

Thanks 
    ANand
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy