New Media Agent Same Library Question

Last post 10-10-2018, 12:08 PM by pgriffin. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • New Media Agent Same Library Question
    Posted: 10-03-2018, 8:36 AM

Thanks all for reading - I have logged a case or two but never got a clear answer; perhaps I am not expressing the issue I have correctly.

I have an older MA that has iSCSI connections to our SAN where we have created LUNS; the drives are presented to the server as a mapped drives - works great. I need to replace it with newer HW and need to transfer the functionality of both the MA and the Library access to a newer server. It is not a "migration" as the data will not move (hopefully) as we don't have that sort of available space anyway. The new server will have the iSCSI NICs etc. Do we "Share" the path first or do we simply bring the new MA up via the refresh process, and connect it to our established library and it should "re-read" the data? Without a absolutely clear answer I can't proceed - data loss is not an option. I can provide more details as needed and thanks again for any help.

• Re: New Media Agent Same Library Question
    Posted: 10-03-2018, 9:18 AM

Sounds to a basic media agent hardware with storage which is being migrated, if I understood this correctly I would:

• Install Commvault Media Agent software op new MA
    • Disable activity for existing MA
    • Disable Commvault Services on existing MA
    • Move DDB partition (if present) to new MA
    • Shutdown existing and new MA
    • Fysically switch the disk library to the new MA
    • Boot new MA
    • Configure data paths disk library within OS of new MA
    • Alter sharing configuration Disk Library Mount Paths within Commvault, add new paths for new MA and make them primary
    • Alter data paths on Storage Policie Copies linked to old MA
    • Test Backup/Auxiliary Copy

Then you should be fine, if you have any questions let me know.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 10-03-2018, 10:43 AM

Thank you Jos that was my thoughts as well from the support documentation.

Posted: 10-09-2018, 4:56 PM

I've done this procedure before. I believe they call it hardware refresh. It's pretty easy. You just share the libraries to the new machine and then remove them from access on the old one. I've even done it when a MA died and we had to rebuild it from scratch. It worked well. 

Posted: 10-10-2018, 12:08 PM

Great thanks for the post I appreciate the follow up.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy