Client Migration and Mediaagent Migration query

Last post 10-11-2018, 9:49 AM by CVLT. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Client Migration and Mediaagent Migration query
    Posted: 10-04-2018, 10:21 AM
    Dear all,

We have a DLO setup, we have client computer group containing clients which are dedicately backing up to one Mediaagent say MA01. Clients in one client computer groups are dedicately associated to one subclient policy.

we want to migrate clients from one client compuer group GP01 to another group GP02. new group GP02 have a new Mediaaget MA02 is hosted + we want to migrate all the mount points from MA01 to MA02.

My Query is

1) After migration of all the mount point from MA01 to MA02 and if we migrate clients from GP01 to GP02 do we need to trigger a FUll backup ? i am asking this because after client migration subclient policy for client will get change as written above. we just want ot prevent initiating a FUll Backup and continue current daily operations.

2) How we can migrate index from current MA01 to MA02 mediaagent ? note: Index on current MA01 is on local.

Regards,
    CVLT
  • Re: Client Migration and Mediaagent Migration query
    Posted: 10-08-2018, 9:10 PM

Hi CVLT

There are many different ways to configure the migration:

• Aux Copy
      • For the existing Storage Policy for MA01, we create another Secondary Copy for MA02
      • Aux Copy all the data across.
      • Update the Secondary Copy as Primary 
      • Change all the Clients to another Computer Group
        • Note - at this point the Subclient is still associated to the original Storage Policy, so no need to change anything, and since Aux Copy is up to date, the Index on MA02 will also hold reference of Backup

• In-place Migration
      • Assuming MA02 is new (not configured within CommVault)
      • You can put MA01 into Maintenance and take it offline (stop services), remove the SAN/NAS storage.
      • Copy the DDB and Index Location to a temporary external volume
      • For MA02, configure it the same way as MA01, then move the DDB and Index to the right Drive Letter, if the Mount Paths were SAN, then map it the same way as MA01
      • Install the CommVault Binary onto MA02, with the same name as MA01
      • By doing so, we are doing an complete in-place replacement of MA01 with MA02

The above methods will achieve the migration purpose, when wanting to replace the entire MediaAgent. 

Hopefully that helps 

Thank you 

Winston 
    Posted: 10-09-2018, 1:48 AM

HI Winston,

You are right but the thing is we are not doing an Inplace Medaiagent migration. We want different hostname of New Medaiagent MA02 where we want to migrate DDB , Index cache and Actual data.

Current MA01 is dedicately assigned to one storage policy and we had configured new MA02 Medaiagent with differnt name.

Want to understand below things and need some correction if i am going wrong:-

1) After mount path migration from MA01 to MA02 my current storage policy will point to new MA02 mediaagent so can i rename of current storage policy or i need to remove assocation of MA02 mount paths from current storage policy and associate this MP on MA02 to new storage policy which i have created while configuring the new MA02 Mediaagent. 

2) need to dessociated the clients from current subclient policy to new subclient policy. do i need to remove association from current Subclient policy and and assign a client sto new subclient policy or shall i just rename the curretn subclient policy and select the storage policy which i need in subclient policy.

The thing we just want to migrate storage policy and subclient policy and client group as well to new name. so just renaming will help here or we need to migrate them manually + this should not affect my current backup strategy like we do not want to trigger Full backup of all the clients, backup should run by pointing to the exisitng data which we migrate.

Regards,CVLT

Posted: 10-09-2018, 5:35 PM

Hi CVLT

Thanks for the clarification, so technically this is an in-place change over from MA01 to MA02

1) After mount path migration from MA01 to MA02 my current storage policy will point to new MA02 mediaagent so can i rename of current storage policy or i need to remove assocation of MA02 mount paths from current storage policy and associate this MP on MA02 to new storage policy which i have created while configuring the new MA02 Mediaagent. 

• Answer - that is correct, once the Mount Paths, DDB and Index (copy to new MA, otherwise it will trigger a Index Recon) is moved to MA02, all the Subclients Backup Data and association will now be associated to MA02. 

2) need to dessociated the clients from current subclient policy to new subclient policy. do i need to remove association from current Subclient policy and and assign a client sto new subclient policy or shall i just rename the curretn subclient policy and select the storage policy which i need in subclient policy.

• Answer - at this point you dont need to change the Subclient Policy, and that is because when you do a Move Mount Path and DDB, once it completes it will only be associated to MA02, so you dont need to change Storage Policy, you can just rename

In short you are doing an inplace change over, where we are mapping all the association to MA02, so once that is done we don't need to change anything else. 

Hopefully that answers your query

Thank you 

Winston
    Posted: 10-11-2018, 9:49 AM

Hi winston,

Thanks for Information !! Here I have one query realted for the Index cache.

Do we need to manually copy the index cache from MA01 to MA02 index directory or after migration of all the data once the backup starts it will restore from media (disk libarary).

we want to avoid triggering an index restore job for each clients jobs on MA02, can you suggest which files/folders that i shoud copy from old index cache MA01 to  new Index cache MA02 ? 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy