Media agent for Cloud backup

Last post 10-10-2018, 12:29 AM by Ian_Gib. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Media agent for Cloud backup
    Posted: 10-07-2018, 5:41 AM

Need some guidance to set up media agent for cloud backups. 

I need to backup close to 10 TB to the cloud while maintaining a copy of backup on local disk library. 

Media agent guidelines recommend an extra small or small media agent, Can I configure 2 DDB's , one for local copy on disk library, and one for cloud backups on a small/extra small media agent or do I need 2 media agents to enable 2 copies. 

• Re: Media agent for Cloud backup
    Posted: 10-08-2018, 1:10 AM

Hi Ian

In relation to your setup, one Local Copy and one Cloud Copy, I would recommend the below (assuming using one MediaAgent):

• Run normal Backup to the Local MediaAgent and Local Disk Library
    • Once the Backup is written to the Disk Library, we can then configure the Secondary Copy, to Aux Copy the data to the Cloud Library.
    The benefit of the above is redundancy, with the Cloud Copy having longer retention then the Primary Copy. 

Note - for both the above setup, we need two separate DDB, either on a single separate MediaAgent or two MediaAgent, as one DDB will be holding references for data both on the local library, and the other DDB for the Aux Copy. 

Hopefully that helps 

Thank you 

Winston 
    Posted: 10-08-2018, 6:38 PM

Thank you Winston, 

Since the data is not significantly large, Can 2 DDB be created on a small size media agent , although it is not recommended by Commvault, Or do I need to create 2 small media agents with a DDB each. 

Posted: 10-08-2018, 8:54 PM

Hi Ian

It is still possible to create two DDB's on a single MediaAgent (we usually recommend to have it on separate Disk and Volumes), so it abides to CommVault Best Practice. 

The only downside of the above configuration is potential performance issue, although it is still allowed. 

Every organizations has their only limitation and requirement, so the decision of using a single MA or 2 MA is really up to whether it fits the goal and requirement. 

Thank you 

Winston 

Posted: 10-10-2018, 12:29 AM

Thanks Winston, 

Make a lot of sense now. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy