Commvault Updates - Valid Cache Folder - CS looking for Updates Online

Last post 10-15-2018, 10:21 AM by Liam. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Commvault Updates - Valid Cache Folder - CS looking for Updates Online
    Posted: 10-09-2018, 1:53 PM

I usually download all of SPs and Hotfixes from the the CV Store. Place them into a local directory and after that execute the Copy Software which I believe that automatically Syncs up with Cache according to DownloadSofware.log. 

I have had situation in the past where we were running SP10 when SP11 was out there, so I download all patches for SP10, placed them in the Cache Directory, validated and run Install Service Pack and Hotfixes believing that only the hotfixes would be installed. My commserve initiated the SP11 download and installation automatically.  Unexpected for me since I didnt want to update to SP11.

My commvault documentation says that if you have your commserve with internet access you can use the Download Software option. But in my case I like to go out there and download the individual packages.

Reading this post http://forum.commvault.com/forums/56203/ShowThread.aspx#56203 I understand that if the cache is populated with the packages Commvault should not go online. Is this correct?

How do I make sure that cache was commited (other than CommServe Cache Status for Media: Valid) and make sure that eventhough my CS has access to internet it will install the packages commited to the cache? Want to make sure that before I hit Install Service Pack and Hotfixes my CV wont install the latest SP13 out there instead it will look for the patches placed into cache folder.

• Re: Commvault Updates - Valid Cache Folder - CS looking for Updates Online
    Posted: 10-14-2018, 8:55 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 10-16-2018, 11:33 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,422

Download and install are two different operations and wouldn't be launched under the same job. Is it possible you have a scheduled download job configured on the CommServe? 

Posted: 10-15-2018, 9:57 AM
    I do have two system created schedules;

System Created Download Software (Disabled)
    System Created Install Software for LapTops (Disabled)

What I meant is that I am not downloading software through CommVault
    (All Tasks - > Add/Remove Software - > Download Software).

Instead, I launch Web Console -> Store -> Media Kits - > Hotfix -> Select my SP12 -> and download the latest hotfix to that SP12.
    After that, I run Copy Software Options and Commit to Cache.

Now back to my question, what happened before was that when I clicked on Install Service Pack and Hotfixes options, my CommServe instead of pulling the hotfixes from Cache, it installed the latest SP. How to make sure that it by clicking on the same options it will pull only what it is in cache folder?
    Posted: 10-15-2018, 10:04 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,422

This cache shows SP12+HFs are available to be installed to the CS and then subsequently the media agents and clients. If this is not what happens or happened, the easiest way to troubleshoot this will be through the logs. If you run updates in this situation and SP13 is installed please open a ticket with support. 

Posted: 10-15-2018, 10:12 AM

Ok, so in this case if I go to "Install Service Pack and Hotfixes" commserve must push what is in the cache folder correct?

Posted: 10-15-2018, 10:21 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,422

Yes that is correct. The download and install options are two seperate operations. Install Service Packs and Hotfixes does not have an option to download anything prior to install process running. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy