Oracle Duplicate BD change init.ora own to root

Last post 11-26-2018, 7:54 PM by efg. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Oracle Duplicate BD change init.ora own to root
    Posted: 11-20-2018, 7:40 AM

Hello there,

We are trying to make a duplicate db on a oracle v11, duplicating the instance to another instance name.

We make manually a new init<instance>.ora but Commvault change the owner to root so it doesnt start.

Is there any option to avoid this?

the init<instance>.ora is inside a sys disk, and the oracle home contains a symbolic link to that .ora

• Re: Oracle Duplicate BD change init.ora own to root
    Posted: 11-20-2018, 9:09 AM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 07-19-2019, 1:09 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,665

Odd,  typically the init file would not be touched by the duplicate process.  The Oracle agent calls RMAN to perform the duplicate process, and while that does access the init file (when starting the duplicated instance) as well as reference the db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_convert parameters, I have never seen it change the init file.  Plus RMAN runs as the "oracle" user and not "root".

How are you performing this procedure -- using the java console? or from command line?

Can you provide some more details?

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 11-21-2018, 10:35 AM

Hello there,

We are using the Java Console, in the oracle agent --> browse and restore, there we choose all the instance and recover all selected...

We select the Duplicate DB checkbox. and "NO CATALOG"

Then on the advanced options and duplicate tab, "duplicate to" we insert the Database Name, Change duplicate to LogFile.

Redirect --> to he new names of File Systems

Posted: 11-26-2018, 7:54 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 07-19-2019, 1:09 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,665

Hmm...  I've done that before and never noticed any changes to the init file.   I'll have to try this again to see if anything has changed.   I'll try to set aside some time to try this again.   I'll post my results when I do.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy