VSA Backup vss provider

Last post 04-26-2019, 4:08 PM by Henry. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VSA Backup vss provider
    Posted: 04-10-2019, 2:11 AM

Good Morning all,

we are troubleshooting some quiesce problems. I see on 2 VMs ( running on nutanix ahv ) that the VMs have 2 Providers:

vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001-2013 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'Microsoft File Share Shadow Copy provider'
       Provider type: Fileshare
       Provider Id: {89300202-3cec-4981-9171-19f59559e0f2}
       Version: 1.0.0.1

Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
       Provider type: System
       Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
       Version: 1.0.0.7

as i know when an hardware provider is installed and running on the server like netapp ontap dsm driver or something like this windows will fokus this provider first. In my case i have 2 software providers.

I know with the windows filesystem agent there is an regkey to force the ms software provider but for vsa baackup ?

so i have 2 questions:

1) is there any posibility to check wich vss provider was used during the vsa backup ?

2) can i force the default provider 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0' during vsa backup ?

thanks for your help

• Re: VSA Backup vss provider
    Posted: 04-26-2019, 4:08 PM

In the case of most vsa backups the actual quiescing is handled by the guest tools.  So in the case of AHV it is handled by NGT (Nutanix Guest Tools).  There may be some ways to force which provider is getting used, but you just have the default providers listed there so i don't expect that to really be the issue.

What I would suggest doing there is checking the Program Files\Nutanix\logs\guest_agent_service.log for messages about the quiesce operation.  You may also want to enable vss tracing inside the VM to get more insight into the quiesce operation.  

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy