Deletion of Deduplication Engine

Last post 07-23-2019, 9:26 AM by Wwong. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Deletion of Deduplication Engine
    Posted: 04-29-2019, 2:11 PM

It looks like there is no option to delete a Deduplication Engine.

When I delete the jobs, storage policies, disk lib, and media agents/clients involved (after releasing the licences), it is still present.

However, at a later time when I go back to look, it seems to have been deleted by the system.

Is this action completed when a Data Aging runs?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Deletion of Deduplication Engine
    Posted: 04-29-2019, 6:02 PM

Hi KRobnett

CommVault will not allow you to manually delete a Deduplication Engine, as this is the core component in keeping the referenced metadata, which is written during the backup. 

What you have experienced after decommissiong the MA/Clients is part of Data Aging. 

To provide more context:

• Deduplication Engine holds the referenced metadata, which is written during the backup.
    • To successfully remove a DDB, you will need to disassociate all association to the DDB
    • To do so you will need to:
      • Seal the DDB 
      • Remove all the jobs from the Storage Policy Copy associated to DDB 
      • Run Data Aging (logical pruning from the CommServe DB layer)
      • After running Data Aging, Physical Pruning request will be sent to the MediaAgent, which will decrement the reference from the DDB, and physically remove blocks from the Disk Library. 
      • After all referneces are rmeoved from the DDB and Disk Library, because the DDB is sealed, after 24 hours it will disappear from the CommServe. 

In short decomm of DDB will involve Data Aging and Physical Pruning, which are all handled by CommVault. 

Hopefully that helps

Regards

Winston
    Posted: 04-29-2019, 6:09 PM

Cool.  It's as I suspected.

Thanks for the verification. :-)

Kris

Posted: 07-23-2019, 7:13 AM

Hi.

I need to delete a deduplication engine that has never had any SPs or jobs so won't let me seal it.

How do I remove this?

Thanks

Cheers

Guy
    Posted: 07-23-2019, 9:26 AM

Hi Guy 

If you navigate to the Storage Policy, identify which Storage Policy is associated to the Deduplication Engine, and if there are no job associated if you delete the Storage Policy it should also delete the Deduplication Engine. 

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy