Huge DR-Backup of IBM-i (AS400)

Last post 04-30-2019, 3:47 PM by efg. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Huge DR-Backup of IBM-i (AS400)
    Posted: 04-30-2019, 11:51 AM

Hi!

We are using IBM-i CommVault Agent for about a year now. It works well but i found out a problem with the DR 1-Touch Backup.

The DR-Backup Creates DVD-Images similar to a SAVE 22 but it includes the full QGPL library.

This is a problem because all PTFs are in this library and so it can have 20GB+ which leads to the creation of an unnecessary count of DVD-Images. Normaly about 5 Images but with QGPL aprox. 10 DVDs

When you have to do a 1-Touch Restore you have to burn way too much DVDs.

Is there a way to exclude the PTFs in QGPL?

Is someone from CommVault here in this forum to help me with this?

Greetings,

Franz

• Re: Huge DR-Backup of IBM-i (AS400)
    Posted: 04-30-2019, 3:47 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 06-25-2019, 9:27 AM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,658

Hi Franz,

I checked with one of our iSeries resources here and recieved the following reply:

We cannot avoid QGPL in the 1 Touch Backup. As far as the PTF are concerned they are SAVF (Save files), which are all starting with Q*.SAVF in the QGPL Library.

Technically, once the PTF’s are applied these SAVF’s should be deleted. But if they are not applied they will be sitting there and occupy the space on the system. We have noticed that over a period of time when the PTF’s are not applied and they are superseded by another PTF, they are ignored and just sit in the QGPL Library.

Recommendation:

We would suggest to check the environment and remove those Q*.SAVF from QGPL, if they are applied or superseded by another PTF. The iSeries Administrator can confirm those SAVF’s status, or check with IBM support and clear those files.

Or

Move those all Q*.SAVF from QGPL to other dummy library and once the system is backed up they can either leave those files there or move them back to QGPL.

Again they can consult with IBM and act accordingly.

QGPL consist of many IBM related objects which cannot be avoided and is always required during the Install.

We have many customers and they have moved their own created objects like SAVF, PF, OUTQ, etc. and moved them outside of QGPL. Again this is just a suggestion and they need to check with IBM for best solution.

Let us know if this helps...

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy