searching for files in large restore directory

Last post 05-06-2019, 12:01 PM by jaymep. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • searching for files in large restore directory
    Posted: 05-02-2019, 2:20 PM

When using the command center, has anyone figured out if there is a way to perform a file level search within a virtual server vm machine backup?  when performing a recent file level restore request, i selected the guest files restore option and i am then able to browse into the directory where the files are located however, other than clicking through all the pages and looking for the file(s), i can not find a way to do a global search of all the files in the directory.  in this particular case, the subdirectory containing the files i need to restore has over 8000 files in it.

any suggestions are appreciated!

thanks, Jayme

• Re: searching for files in large restore directory
    Posted: 05-02-2019, 2:28 PM

I'll add a "me too" to this.Frown

I ended up using the FBR server and navigated around the mounted VMDK to find the dozen or so files that matched what was requested.

Posted: 05-06-2019, 10:56 AM
    Posted: 05-06-2019, 11:31 AM

i am able to browse files in the restore directory, however i am unable to do a search on a filename within the directory.  from what i can find in the docs, it looks like file search is only supported on systems with a filesystem client installed. for example, if i select a client with the filesystem agent and go to the restore tab, in the upper right corner there is a search box , but when i go to the restore tab of an agentless vm backup, there is no search box.

Posted: 05-06-2019, 11:49 AM

if you have run file indexing job for the VM, you can go to <WebServer FQDN>/adminconsole/#/virtualization/vms. 

Click on the VM for which you want to search the files for and you should see a box "Search Files and Folder". See attachment

File system installation has nothing to do with this feature. 

For configuration steps, you can see http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp14/adminconsole/article?p=102769.htm

Please do let us know, if any issues. 

Which hypervisor are you using? Streaming or snap?

Attachment: search.JPG
    Posted: 05-06-2019, 12:01 PM

thank you!  i do not have the index gateway or the High Availability Computing packages on my vsa proxy machine.  hypervisor we are using is vmware, no intellisnap.

i will try installing those packages and see if that fixes the search.  i definitely do not get the search box like you have in your attached image.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy