How to change Archiver Data retention

Last post 05-09-2019, 7:39 AM by ssunkara. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • How to change Archiver Data retention
    Posted: 05-09-2019, 3:20 AM

Hi, I have a storage policy which is only for backing up Oracle databases archive logs. This was done by the previous backup admin with the retention of 90 days. I receive a request from my management to reduce the archive logs retention to 1 month, thus I went to the affected storage policy and change the retention to 30days & 1 cycle. I then executed data aging job & was expecting to see all the archive logs older than 30days being purged from the storage. However when I browse through some of the client's archive log backups I can see backups dating from March is still there.

From the storage policy I notice there's a column called Archiver Data retention is 90days. Could this be the reason why the backups aren't purge? If yes how can I change it? 

• Re: How to change Archiver Data retention
    Posted: 05-09-2019, 7:39 AM

Hi,

It wont depend on the archiver Data retention. But the reason for not pruning is, there might be a previous FULL backup which needs the logs to recover the data.

There might be a LOG_RULE applied.

Can you please check the data retention fore cast report and see the reason why these jobs retained?

Also in case you don't need those jobs, please reach out the support and open up TR. We will check and verify.

We need the commserver database to be staged andw we need the range of log backups from which date to which date not required.

So that will help getting support on this.

Thanks,

Srinivas

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy