Disk Library with multiple mount paths

Last post 10-13-2019, 3:53 AM by Wwong. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Disk Library with multiple mount paths
    Posted: 05-15-2019, 7:16 AM
    We have two servers each with their own identical dedicated storage. Is it possible (or recommended) to create a single DiskLib with two mount paths, one mount path per MA:

Mount path 1 > MA1 > backend disk 1
    Mount path 2 > MA2 > backend disk 2

Using spill and fill so that load is spread across both MAs and disks.
  • Re: Disk Library with multiple mount paths
    Posted: 05-16-2019, 4:26 AM

Hi jbs727

The configuration of a single Disk Library with both Mount Path will work, and you are correct this will allow you to load balance (but also ensure to enable "Round Robin" at the Storage Policy Copy Layer), so it will load balance across the MediaAgent. 

Regards

Winston

Posted: 10-10-2019, 8:54 AM

Hi jbs727,

Did you ever get this working? I've got exactly the same scenario to implement at work, but when I add the second mount path on server #2 it gets marked offline with the following text:
    [Device is not enabled or there are no controller/share paths that are online.]

Have you got any idea what I'm missing here?

Posted: 10-10-2019, 9:03 AM

I've probably left a whole bunch of info out here haven't I?

Running v11 SP15 HPK16, both servers are defined linux (RHEL7) based MAs already with NFS based disk libraries configured and running OK (there's reasons for not having another NFS library O_o), comms to both MAs are fine and readiness checks are all coming back clean.

I've a feeling that the reason it's not happy with this second path is because the default assumption appears (to me) to be that a mount path is shared, and of course it isn't.

In my case the mount paths on each of the servers are just a directory created on the root of the server with 777 perms. This is all just to prove out the theory ahead of ordering the DAS appliances.

Posted: 10-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Hi StorageMatt,

We ended up needing to share the individual mount paths with the other MA, using Data Server - IP. The backend storage was FC LUNs individually presented to each MA - the other MA only had access after configuring Data Server sharing. It served its purpose as a temporary setup while we were waiting for more storage to come online. We've since torn down this configuration since there was no HA; if one of the MAs went offline, the jobs stored on that MA's mount path were inaccessible until the MA was brought back online. Hope this helps.

Posted: 10-10-2019, 12:44 PM

THAT was the missing piece - Data Server -IP.

You're quite right about the lack of HA, but that's OK for us in the context we'll be using it in. Thanks for getting back to me on this one; it's very much appreciated :)

Posted: 10-10-2019, 12:48 PM

Of note - we had DIPs enabled between the two MAs prior to sharing the mount paths. Well it turns out that Data Server does not support DIPs, so they had to be disabled. Took us a few days to figure that out.

Posted: 10-13-2019, 3:53 AM

Hi StorageMatt and Jbs727,

In regards to using Data Server IP, you will be leveraging application level (Commvault) to export via 3ndfs (using nfs) to allow access between a locally mounted volume on one MediaAgent to another MediaAgent (when using Block Device).

However in saying that, this is not fully High-availability, as you will still rely on the single MediaAgent with Block access to be online to allow exports to be made to another MediaAgent. If the primary MediaAgent is offline you will lose access to the Mount Path. 

• Side Note - if you are able to configure Clustered Storage  (e.g. Windows Clustering) that will allow you to achieve HA outside of Commvault, which will translate to HA at Application level. 

If you are able to configure exports of CIFs or NFS at Storage Level and create the Disk Library (within Commvault) you will be able to leverage better HA (Note - however you will be using IP, instead of iSCSI or FC - so performance might not be the best).

Additional note - with 3dnfs (since you are leveraging nfs), this works at a different layer from Data Server IP, that is why it is not compatible. 

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy