Commvault and Tape Library. Change media

Last post 05-21-2019, 10:14 AM by Peppy. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Commvault and Tape Library. Change media
    Posted: 05-16-2019, 9:41 AM
    Hi,
    CV 11 SP 15 and FJ Eternus LT2
    How to properly administer the tape library and Commvault? Unfortunately, I lack experience.
    In the tape library installed 7 media. Created secondary storage policies. Now two media are filled and I need to replace them.
    1. How to extract these media? Do I need to do something on the Commvault side, or do I just need to physically replace them?
    2. How to correctly mark the extracted media in order to then understand which tape needs to be inserted into the library to recover data from it? How will Commvault report this to me?
  • Re: Commvault and Tape Library. Change media
    Posted: 05-16-2019, 10:03 AM

You need to do logical labeling of the media's which you are putting in to the drive for backup. In case of recovery you can go to the jobs and media tab to get the media information which you can insert later in write protected mode for restore. You need to run full scan of the tape library so that commvault can have the information that new tapes has been inserted.Once the media is full you can physically eject them from the tape library.

Posted: 05-16-2019, 10:52 AM

I already have a label on my media's. They coincide with what Commvault sees. Can I replace media with a new one?

Posted: 05-16-2019, 11:08 AM

Yes, you can. After that in CV console go to storage resources-> libraries-> right click on appropriate tape library and run Full scan and check if you can see the new media in the slots.

Posted: 05-20-2019, 3:08 AM
    Thanks for the help.
    Is it possible to store data of different secondary storage policy on one media? 
    Or one policy=one media?
    Posted: 05-21-2019, 10:14 AM

Yes its possible to store data of different secondary storage policy on same media by configuring Global Secondary Copy Policy. Details in link below:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11638.htm 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy