Manually Uploading to S3 Glacier and Restoring

Last post 06-09-2019, 11:17 PM by STan_0007. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Manually Uploading to S3 Glacier and Restoring
    Posted: 06-02-2019, 8:28 AM

Good day all,

I am practically new with CommVault technologies, so please bear with my limited knowledge and skills.

Basically, our DR Media Agent capacity has maxed out and we are migrating its content to S3 Glacier, however the upload speed is extremely slow, to the point that to upload one day's backup data will require 3 days worth of upload time and it tends to end up "partially completed" hence causing more issues for restoration. Not to mention, we got more than half a year of data still not uploaded to S3 Glacier yet.

Hence it has brought to me to manually download all the backup content and then upload it to S3 Glacier manually using FastGlacier on my PC. However, it appears the backup data cannot be detectedin the Cloud Library when I browse through the Library using CommVault console, it can only display data that was uploaded by the CommVault's Aux Copy.

Are there any methods for the CommVault console to detect the manually uploaded data? I have yet to open a case with support yet to discuss this.

• Re: Manually Uploading to S3 Glacier and Restoring
    Posted: 06-09-2019, 8:08 PM

Hi STan_00007

From the way you have explained your scenario, it sounds like you are manually copying the CHUNKs/VOLUMES from your local PC to the Cloud.

However what you are doing won't work, as the CommServe/MediaAgent is not aware of the references, written to the DDB or Cloud Library, as the Backup Data is not application consistent. 

You will need to re-write the data via CommVault process (Aux Copy) to get the Data properly to cloud.

At the moment in terms of migrating to S3, you can consider using a AWS Snowball - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=9276.htm

By using the AWS Snowball, you will be connecting a device to your local Data Center, do a local Aux Copy to the Snowball.

Regards

Winston 

• Re: Manually Uploading to S3 Glacier and Restoring
    Posted: 06-09-2019, 11:17 PM

Hi Winston,

Thanks for your input, figures, guess I will need to change my approach.

Appreciate your time to reply on my query, have a good day.

Regards,

STan

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy