[COMMVSERVE Configuration] : Data retention and Virtual Infrascture changement

Last post 06-21-2019, 9:58 AM by FBI. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • [COMMVSERVE Configuration] : Data retention and Virtual Infrascture changement
    Posted: 06-06-2019, 11:10 AM
    Hi,

My COMMVAULT infrasctrure is up for one year, and we have decided to change all our hypervisors.
    We have for now, the NUTANIX / Hyper-V couple (Yes, I know ...) and we'll go to NUTANIX / VMWARE
    (and perhaps AHV, if it is enough good for our requirements / needs).
    But alls hypervisors / clusters set in COMMVAULT configuration will change.
    For reminder, in the CommServe, you declare each node of a Hyper-V cluster (VSA installation) and
    only after that, you can add the cluster.
    If you do your calculations we have 12 clusters composed of 3 or 4 servers, we have many lines
    under "Client computers" category.

However, for VMWARE, we just have to add The VCenter.

I can not find any lines in the documentation (I can make an error) on how can I keep VMs datas
    of the last year, if I need to restore them ?
    Can I delete all Hyper-V subclients after the migration of all the VMs, on the VMWARE infrastructure ?
    If I delete all, Can I restore my datas from tapes we keep each month (semi annual retention) or
    quarter (infinite retention) ?

Thanks for all yours answers
    Fabrice
  • Re: [COMMVSERVE Configuration] : Data retention and Virtual Infrascture changement
    Posted: 06-06-2019, 9:30 PM

Can I delete all Hyper-V subclients after the migration of all the VMs, on the VMWARE infrastructure ?

yes you can delete the subclient. https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=93511.htm

If I delete all, Can I restore my datas from tapes we keep each month (semi annual retention) or
    quarter (infinite retention) ?

As the previous link states, if you delete the subclient - the data can still be restored at the backupset level - rather than the subclient.

If during this process you get critically low on primary disk storage, Commvault allows you to manually delete data on the Primary Storage Policy Copy (just be cautious -See Delete a Job from the Copy inside https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=13973.htm  .

When you fully retire your old hypervisor cluster, just use the retire client feature.http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=102030.htm 

You can remove the GUI clutter by toggling the "Show Unlicensed without software" under User Preferences http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=3930.htm 

Hope that helps.
  • Re: [COMMVSERVE Configuration] : Data retention and Virtual Infrascture changement
    Posted: 06-07-2019, 12:11 PM

Thanks for your help. Your answers are great.

One last question : Can I click on "Release License for Client" on the cluster too ?

It's just to hide the cluster object in "COMMCELL Browser", but keeping all backups associated

Thanks

Fabrice

Posted: 06-20-2019, 4:04 PM

You should be able to release the client as well.  The backups will still be held for what ever you have specified in the Storage Policy.

The only time you will make the backup un-restoreable is when the delete task propts for the magic words "erase and reuse media".  Commvault is pretty good about making sure you know you are about to destroy your backups.Cool

Posted: 06-21-2019, 9:58 AM

You're right about these magic words Laughing

Thanks

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy