clint-side triggering of backup operations

Last post 06-06-2019, 11:15 PM by Anthony.Hodges. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • clint-side triggering of backup operations
    Posted: 06-06-2019, 10:52 PM

Hi all,

I want to understand to what extent I can trigger backups on the client side.

Client-side CV software includes Q commands but does that mean I can, for example, run ON THE CLIENT :

# qlogin -cs <blah> -u <user>

# qoperation execute <details>

THis is for SQL server.  Customer wants to trigger backups only after daily DB maintenance is completed - but the time that will complete may tend to vary.  

I see that this iData agent does support qoperations. I see also that we can integrate into SQL Management studio but that will not be hapening here.

Assuming that I can give control to the client, I need to be sure of the security.  This is a multi-tenanted, utility backup service and just one end-customer wants to do this. I cannot risk other customers.

I can lock it down with a service user on the Commserve and define the associated entities for that user.  I can provide the specifics to the customer in a template file plus download the script from the CC console but the client would in principle be able to mod those, if they knew what they were doing.  How else could I constrain the customer?

At some point we will deploy a self-service portal but again, right now, I am looking for a quick - but safe - solution.

Thanks

SF

• Re: clint-side triggering of backup operations
    Posted: 06-06-2019, 11:15 PM

Right click the subclient, select backup, then save as a script. This will let you choose how the login is done as well.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy