Backing Up Remote Mailboxes O365/Exchange Hybrid

Last post 06-07-2019, 12:10 PM by Arwen. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Backing Up Remote Mailboxes O365/Exchange Hybrid
    Posted: 06-07-2019, 6:20 AM

Hi there, we have recently implmented Commvault as our new backup solution. Alongside this we have been migrataing users out to Exchange Online/Office 365 in a hybrid solution.

I am now at the point of backup up users mail. I wish to use Commvault to backup only users who have already been migrated to Exchange Online. 

This can be shown simply in Commvault, as these users appear as having no Mail Store when Creating a New Association in the Exchange Mailbox client. Doing it this way would mean manually adding each user in as they are migrated, correct?
    Next I tried to create a new association based on Databases, only on prem databases show up.
    Is there a way to set this to display "Remote Mailbox" or simmilar so I can then select it? Or alternatvily, associate all databases except on-prem databases?

Finally I have set up an on prem AD group, which includes migrated users and created a new accosioation based on AD group. This appears to work, however it is not dyamic, and will not catch new users unless we manually put them in this group. 

Does anyone know of a way where Commvault will automagically detect newly migrated users and backup their remote mailboxes? 

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Backing Up Remote Mailboxes O365/Exchange Hybrid
    Posted: 06-07-2019, 12:10 PM

Just to say we have written a script to detect the attruibute for a Remote User Mailbox ( "msexchremoterecipienttype ", "4" = Remote User mailbox) and put them into an AD security group. The script runs multiple times a day to pick up new users.This group is then added as an association in Commvault and picks up newly migrated users for backing up. 

I've not fully tested it, but seems to be working fine. Does seem like an oversight that we cannot simply select which databases to associate or not with Commvault. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy