Selective Tape Export

Last post 06-19-2019, 2:39 AM by Wwong. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Selective Tape Export
    Posted: 06-11-2019, 7:50 AM

I'm looking for a solution for following problem:

I have disk and tape libraries. Data goes on primary copy, disk library. There is selective copy to tape of all full backups.

I need to export all tapes that are marked as full - that should be easy with proper vault policy.

As additional step it was requested to have monthly full backup stored to tape with extended retention of 15 years. On schedule level I can set option "mark media full on success" but tape backup for me is on secondary policy, so I don't assume it will work. Should I create a separate schedule to write a full diretly to tape once a month and then utilize the option above? Or create new Storage Policy and then the schedule?

• Re: Selective Tape Export
    Posted: 06-12-2019, 12:00 AM

Hi Jkluba

Your chain of thoughts are definitely correct.

I would create a new Schedule (just for the long-term retention), where it will trigger the Aux Copy for the Selective Full Backup. 

Then enable the Schedule setting "Mark Media Full on Success", so when Full backupis Aux copy successfully, this will mark the tape as full.

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 06-17-2019, 5:15 AM

Am I to understand that I have to create relevant selective secondary copies in all Storage Policies that will require the export?

I'm not sure how to calculate the minimal tape count I will need. From what I see we have 3 SP with tape copies (utilizing 2 separate disk libraries) with different clients assigned. I need to ensure minimal number of tapes is utilized. I suppose we'll have to consolidate those SP's to minimize.

Posted: 06-19-2019, 2:39 AM

Hi jkluba

The consolidation of the SP here might work better in conserving Tape utilization. 

You can consider configuring a Global Secondary Copy (https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11638.htm)

This will allow you to use the same Tape Media across multiple SP, which will be helpful in minimizing the tape consumption.

Regards

Winston

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy