Policy set to write full backups to tape, still writing incrementals to tape

Last post 06-14-2019, 10:04 AM by LynB. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Policy set to write full backups to tape, still writing incrementals to tape
    Posted: 06-13-2019, 10:50 AM

All our backups run to disk in the first instance.  We have multiple storage policies set up with an aux copy to tape, but we tried to set this up to only write the weekly full backups (or synthetic fulls), but we noticed the aux copy on some policies chewing through far more tape than we had expected -- and on checking the contents of the tapes being written, daily incremental backups also seem to be continuously written to tape.

One of our admins is brand new to Commvault, and I'm coming back to it from many years away.  I've been over all the documentation and can't see where we've set it up wrong.

Beyond setting the storage policy copy properties in "Selective Copy", what should I be looking at?

Help appreciated.  I didn't see anything quite like this in the forum already.

• Re: Policy set to write full backups to tape, still writing incrementals to tape
    Posted: 06-14-2019, 4:37 AM

That is strange. One possible reason is that perhaps check if the Incremental Jobs are being promoted to a Full (you have to open up the primcary copy events to check).  Is the tape backup a SILO or is a regular rehydrated copy?

What version and service pack are you running (v11 sp15 is the current edition)? 

• Re: Policy set to write full backups to tape, still writing incrementals to tape
    Posted: 06-14-2019, 5:33 AM

We are running v11 sp15, in fact.

The tape backup is a Silo copy.

And this is a stupid question, I know, but could you tell me where I would check the primary copy events that you're referring to?  We do have multiple policies set to create synthetic fulls on the Friday of each week, but no incrementals should otherwise be being promoted.

Posted: 06-14-2019, 7:52 AM

SILO! ok, now that explains things.  Silo is not your typical rehydrated copy to tape, it is an extension of the disk copy.  Incrementals will get written to the silo.  Perhaps using extended retention can help a little bit.

Here is some reading to help. https://forum.commvault.com/forums/14363/ShowThread.aspx.

Posted: 06-14-2019, 10:04 AM

Welll....sugar.

Ok, I was just looking at the policies, and it seems like all the primary copies are set to DASH, and then the aux copies were not set up right.

My understanding is that we can't change the dedupe settings on a policy after it's created; and, if we delete a policy, it will delete all the data associated with it.  What will happen if I create new policies and then re-associate the clients?

And do you know of a page where the setup of a normal, rehydrated tape backup is explained well?

Thanks for your help so far, it's appreciated.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy