Conecptual Issue in releasing a temporary disk library

Last post 06-29-2019, 10:15 AM by karthik. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Conecptual Issue in releasing a temporary disk library
    Posted: 06-28-2019, 6:59 PM
    • Egg is not online. Last active: 09-20-2019, 4:22 PM Egg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2019
    • Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    • Newcomer
    • Points 15
    Commvault v11 SP13+
    Data Domain as Major repo.

A few days ago we had an issue with our Data Domain and decided to add a data path connecting
    the Commvault to a Disk Storage temporarily since the backups were failing. 
    It was a disk library with 5 Mount Paths, each of them with 15 TB. 

As a new Commvault admin, I would like to know if this was the correct procedure and 
    what kind of actions should be taken when things like that happen. 

First, I suspended all the pending jobs. 
    Second, I added a new data path. (Properties of Primary Copy (Storage Policy) > Data Paths > Add). 
    The Disk Library was already added. No more actions were required. 
    Commvault started using the new disk library for new backup jobs. 

When I fixed the issue with the Data Domain, the Commvault started using it automatically. 
    Now, I think that Commvault is balancing between the Data Paths 
    (Round-Robin between Data Paths checked). 

1. What can be done to release the disk library?
    2. Is it enough to uncheck the corresponding checkbox (Data Paths tab) "Enabled" to the disk library?
    3. Is there a way to move the data stored there to the Data Domain?
    I don't want to create additional "Storage Units" on Data Domain and 
    present them to Commvault as Mount Paths. Today we have just one mount path on Data Domain. 

I was reading the documentation and realized that 
    I can't move a mount path to anothe active mount path.

Braga, Eduardo
    Backup Administrator
  • Re: Conecptual Issue in releasing a temporary disk library
    Posted: 06-28-2019, 10:22 PM

Hello

Thanks for reaching us.  First we want to make sure, no new jobs are using the newly added disk Library . For that , please   

- Enable option “Disable Mount Path  for new data”.  at new library moun tpath property .  So new backup will not use the temporary library for new backup .  Once all jobs  in that new disk library are aged off , you can  remove from data path and then delete the Library 

Please see this document helps for that , http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp16/article?p=9319.htm#o105509

Please let me know , if you have any other question .  

Thanks

karthik 

Posted: 06-29-2019, 12:34 AM
    • Egg is not online. Last active: 09-20-2019, 4:22 PM Egg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2019
    • Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    • Newcomer
    • Points 15

Thank you very much. Just curious. The "Enabled" checkbox, when unchecked, would not let Commvault perform read and prune operations. Right? And one more question. Why not just remove the new data path from Primary Copy Storage Policy definition? What would happen?

Braga, Eduardo
    Backup Administrator
    Posted: 06-29-2019, 10:15 AM

Read and Pruning operations will  happen both when that option is enabled or disabled. Only difference is new backup will not write to that Library . So that once the already wrote data are aged , you can delete the Library .  Yes you can delete the newly added data path . But main intention is delete the libarary only when all jobs in that libarary is aged off .  

Let me know if you need any more information . 

Thanks

Karthik 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy