CommVault does support Libraries for Azure Archive. This is a great savings in storage costs.
What CommVault is not disclosing is Workflow recall support for VSA clients is not supported.
What does this mean? That for a virtual client, when you need to recall data from a Library that uses Azure Archive Tier you need to use a very convoluted process on the command line which requires you to do the following.
- Find the backup Job ID with the via the Java console.
- Create a text list of the media chucks via the Java console.
- If you have more than one Library you need to repeat step 2 for each library.
- Then for each text file created in step 2 you need to run the CloudTestTool for each to flip the archive bit in Azure from Archive to Cool/Hot. You will need the account name, container, and key set on the command line to do this.
- What 15 hours for this to take effect.
- Restore as usual.
- When you are done with the restore you must rerun the CloudTestTool to flip the Hot/Cool Tier bit back to Archive for each text list of chunks.
There is no warning that if you chose Azure Archive Tier that you will need to take these extra steps and work outside the Java Console, and forget about using Command Center, all workflows are not supported within. If your the CommVault Admin, you just got a new responsibility to admin all these recalls.
This process as documented currently was so unclear that support couldn't follow it and required someone that had encountered this mess walk us all through it, both support and client.
I asked that this be correctly documented as part of my ticket closer and a warning put in so a person understands what they are getting themselves into.
CommVault refused to fix the documentation or put a warning in, most likely because it makes their product look ridiculous.
So buyer beware.