Auxiliary copy with deduplication

Last post 07-30-2019, 9:25 AM by Alexandre P. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Auxiliary copy with deduplication
    Posted: 07-23-2019, 3:44 PM

Hi all
    This is my scenario
    I have a storage policy with a primary copy to my drive E: and I use Global Deduplication
    Now I need to create an auxiliary copy to cloud using DASH andwithout selective copy
    In my auxiliary copy I selected my cloud library, media agent, and I selected Enable Deduplication option.
    Whem a I try to finish my configuration it is opened the Deduplication tab and shows this message: Please configure access path (s) by clicking configure.
    If I already have a global depuplication, why I need to create a new ddb information?
    Thanks
    Alexandre

• Re: Auxiliary copy with deduplication
    Posted: 07-25-2019, 9:20 AM

Hi Alexandre

For Global Deduplication Policy it can only be associated to a single Copy within a Storage Policy.

When you are configuring a Secondary Copy you will need to add another DDB. The main reason why you can't associate a DDB to more then one copy within the same Storage Policy, is because this will result in a single point of failure. (i.e. if your MediaAgent goes offline or the Volume where your DDB resides, this will impact all your Backup operation as well as Secondary site Aux Copy). 

The recommendation is to have separate MediaAgent with dedicated DDB, so in the unlikely scenario where your Primary Backup site or MediaAgent Server goes offline, you can still leverage your Secondary Copy (by promoting to Primary), to continue backup. 

However if you were able to get two copy (within the same Storage Policy) to a single Global DDB, if your MediaAgent goes down, this will result in complete Backup operation down. 

Hopefully this is clear

Regards

Winston

• Re: Auxiliary copy with deduplication
    Posted: 07-30-2019, 9:25 AM

I understood Winston

Thank you very much

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy