Browse and restore the VM with disks larger than 30 TB

Last post 10-28-2019, 8:19 AM by ksnook. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Browse and restore the VM with disks larger than 30 TB
    Posted: 07-26-2019, 3:55 AM
    hello
    I have new windows files servers over vmware virtual machines. This file servers have disks more than 30TB. I backup they with VSA agent without Intellisnap, and backups jobs finish fine. But when I do Browse and restore, it needs several hours for show me the data for restore, this issue doen't happen in small size servers. Is there best practices for big disk or solution for this issue?

thank you
  • Re: Browse and restore the VM with disks larger than 30 TB
    Posted: 07-27-2019, 8:05 PM

Hi CJP,

You may not like what you are about to hear but I really think the way this server is being protected looks bad.  Whilst 30TB is nothing compared to what any SAN may offer, you will only ever get one backup stream for backup and restore for it.  To address your browse/restore GUI issue, you can help reduce that by using the newish VM Centric VMware backups within Commvault that may help reduce the amount of time to read the job indexes, but to be honest this not going to help much.

For this particular use case, I would recommend looking into VSA Intellisnap using LiveSync Direct (in addition to performing Block-Level File System Agent backups).  Live Sync Direct will allow you to more quickly recover your extra large server.

I would also STRONGLY recommend working with Commvault Professional Services or a Certified Commvault Partner to assist.

Posted: 07-30-2019, 3:55 AM
    Hi Anthony, thank you for response.
    For intellisnap I need an array license we don't have.
    I solved it enabling Collect File Details under VSA Subclient, and for optimize restore process,
    I installed FS iDA on file server virtual machine for restore.

Posted: 07-30-2019, 5:23 AM
    Good to hear. FS iDA is preferred for extra large File Systems over VSA due to the time taken to Live Browse the VM.
    Posted: 08-17-2019, 3:25 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 11-11-2019, 9:19 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,736
    To browse for larger disks, you'd need to follow the steps below.

Block-Level Browse for Large Disks

To perform a block-level browse for disks that are 16 TB or larger, take the following actions:

Create a new disk on the MediaAgent and format it with an NTFS cluster size of 8 KB (to live browse a disk of 16 TB to 32 TB) or 16 KB (to live browse a disk of 32 TB to 64 TB).
    Change the path of the Job Results folder to use the new disk.
    During a live browse, a sparse file with size equal to the source volume is created to stage the recalled extents. NTFS volumes with allocation unit size less than 64 KB do not support the creation of sparse files greater than 16TB. For more information on supported volume size and allocation unit size, see Microsoft KB article Default cluster size for NTFS, FAT, and exFAT

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=30807.htm
    Posted: 10-28-2019, 8:19 AM

Anyone know how we do this with HyperScale (Linux Media Agents)?

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy