Hyperscale and Intellesnap--- the myth.

Last post 08-19-2019, 11:54 AM by mmagbee. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Hyperscale and Intellesnap--- the myth.
    Posted: 08-02-2019, 10:19 AM

So who has a hyperscale? Are you doing intellesnap with iscsi? How? did you add more nics? With the GlusterFS requiring a private data network there are no more IP/NICS available for iscsi. 

Now this pertains to DELL EMC DSM snaps, but i would imagine it would be an issue with all iscsi based San Snaps.

Would love to hear your config. Let me know- Thanks!

• Re: Hyperscale and Intellesnap--- the myth.
    Posted: 08-04-2019, 2:53 AM

As you have no doubt observed only the optional SAS/FC card is available, so I'd definitely recommend raising this as a feature request.

Posted: 08-04-2019, 9:22 AM

Hi mmagbee

If you are looking to leverage HyperScale appliance to function as a proxy for Unix IntelliSnap or to provide SAN mode with VSA backup copy, you can leverage the Data Protection Network and enable isci via putty:

• iscsiadm -m discovery

This might require a bit of tinkering, but will be a good starting point

Regards

Winston 
    Posted: 08-19-2019, 11:54 AM

Ok , SO I have an update and this time its a positive one. 

We went around and around trying to fgure out how to bond the storage network with iscsi. Note that during install, hyperscale requires that the storage network to be isolated and unroutable. While I agree 100% with the unroutable , I decided to move the storage network from its isolated VLAN and subnet and match it with my iscsi network for my SAN/ESXi  similar to how I had my commvault MEdia Agent. Since I am using DSM , I should be able to use the admin IP to talk to the SAN. And sure enough that worked. 

Without any ISCSI cards, I am using the storage network on the hyperscale on the same network as my iscsi storage traffic. I know this goes against Hyperscales setup request, but the subnet is still unroutable and only storage traffic is going over those IP's anyway. So this could be a big win for anyone wanting to do the same but are stuck with with te FC cards.

Either way- I am in buisness and I have now gutted and redeployed the hyperscale over and over. So I am going to do the 2nd deploy on my own. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy