Removing clients and its 7-year retention policy

Last post 08-02-2019, 2:22 PM by jhshen. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Removing clients and its 7-year retention policy
    Posted: 08-02-2019, 11:43 AM

I have a Commvault client which has its backup stored in a Extended-Retention 7-year policy and its backups are stored on tape media.

I've since moved the contents to another machine. Just to confirm, if I completely remove the Commvault client (release license and delete), then will the saved backup jobs on tape media be automatically removed as well?

Or, are the jobs still saved as it's on tape media and it can be recovered using another server?

• Re: Removing clients and its 7-year retention policy
    Posted: 08-02-2019, 2:01 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 10-16-2019, 2:21 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,678

Deleting a client will remove any meta-data for that client from the Commserve database...  So I would not recommend deleting the client.   Just write protect the Media, and disable any schedules for that client.  You can also release the license (which should remove it from any SLA reports) but as long as you don't delete the client you will be able to recover from that tape.   There is also a "Catalog Tape" feature which should read the index from that tape and merge it back into the database for restore purposes, but to be safe, I would just release the licence on the client and not delete it outright.

Here is the link to the documentation for cataloging tapes:  Cataloging a Tape

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
  • Re: Removing clients and its 7-year retention policy
    Posted: 08-02-2019, 2:22 PM

Thanks.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy