Data Aging on Intellisnap jobs

Last post 08-13-2019, 5:08 AM by Wwong. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Data Aging on Intellisnap jobs
    Posted: 08-09-2019, 1:44 AM

We are using Commvault Intellisnap to make snapshots of EBS volumes

But I could see some snapshots not getting cleaned up properly.

As we see multiple snapshots with no tags (not part of any failed job) so I suspect these were left by CV due to some unfinished cleanup during data aging.

How can we verify this?

We have alert configured for Data Aging, but its always successful, I never received any alert with issues during Snapshot data aging.

• Re: Data Aging on Intellisnap jobs
    Posted: 08-10-2019, 12:54 AM

Hi alligator89

From what is sounds like, although the snapshot is cleaned up from Commvault side (will need to verify), the API call to AWS is failing to clean up the snapshot in the Cloud

I would recommend to escalate the Ticket to Support, and share a current CommServe DB and a older CommServe DB, so Support can review the snapshot prior to Aging and confirm whether these stale references are Commvault associated. 

Regards

Winston

Posted: 08-10-2019, 3:57 AM

thanks for the reply Winston.

Problem is that we are noticing such snapshot residues after 6+ months while we were randomly checking the snapshots in AWS, and as they were left behind without tags, it becomes tedious identify that they were created and left by Commvault. i'm afriad that we dont have enough logs to troubleshoot this at the moment. (as the problem occured way back)

I understand that this could be because of issues during the API calls to AWS during the Data Aging, and can be an issue either at AWS or Commvault itself.

Is there any way to track this, to alert us when its not cleanup properly, when there were issue during such API calls. anythi

Posted: 08-13-2019, 5:08 AM

Hi alligator89

That is indeed very challenging. 

From a Commvault perspective snapshot references will only be cleaned up from the CommServe DB, when the API call is returned by AWS.

In this case it sounds like a potential edge condition, where AWS has already sent the acknowledgement to Commvault and cleanup is completed and updated in the CSDB or someone has manually force deleted the Snapshot reference in Commvault (snapshot consolidation), without cleaning up from AWS. 

Since the snapshots are over 6+ months old, i dont think we will have sufficient logging to identify the cause. 

However would still recommend to open a support ticket to dig in further.

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy