Synthetic Fulls Not Running

Last post 09-23-2019, 10:12 AM by Anthony.Hodges. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Synthetic Fulls Not Running
    Posted: 08-12-2019, 3:18 AM

Hi,

I am getting this weird issue where my week end Synthetic Full backups are not running.  It was working fine for years and then over the past month it has stopped running.

This is only happening on 2 of our servers buts our 2 main file servers.  If i running a Synthetic Full manually it works fine but its not running on the schedule.  There are no errors and nothing in the job history to show that it even tried to start.  The incremental jobs for these servers are working fine and its just the Synthetic backup not running.

Anyone seen this before or any ideas what to try?

Thanks

• Re: Synthetic Fulls Not Running
    Posted: 08-12-2019, 4:18 AM

Out of curiosity, how did you kick off the manual synthetic full?  Did you do it directly from the subclient or from the schedule?  If you did it from the subclient, perhaps trying it off the schedule so you can see and let us know what is happening in real time.

Do the 2 main file servers use the same schedule policy with the Synth Full as the other clients that work fine?

Posted: 08-12-2019, 6:01 AM

Just after trying it from the schedule and it runs the incremental but does not even try the Synthetic.  Its set to run incremental before doing a Synthetic Full. 

These 2 server are using the same schedule policy and are in different storage policies.  So its the same schedule policy for the ones that works fine.

Posted: 08-13-2019, 5:39 AM

Hi Steven503

That is indeed a very strange. 

When you trigger the schedule, can you please have a look at logs (EvMgrS and JobManager) to see if there are any errors?

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 08-13-2019, 6:56 AM

So i was viewing these two logs in real time as it was going through the schedule.  Once it completes the incremental it stops... nothing more in the log.  No errors no warnings, its like the synthetic is not even meant to run.  Feel like its going to be something really silly but i havent changed anything.

Posted: 09-23-2019, 9:26 AM

What service pack and hotfix you are on? 

I have been experiencing the same issue after upgrading to SP16 from SP9. VMWare synthetic full works fine but file server synthetic full throw time out erro during backup operation but it recovers from the error by itself and complete the backup job successfully, but the synttetic full takes too long to complete after the SP16 upgrade.

Did you get to the bottom of the problem? 

I logged a ticket with Commvault support and they have been investigating the issue more than a month now.

Posted: 09-23-2019, 10:12 AM
    Hi Alam, your issue looks to be a different than the one described by the original poster. His issue is not related to backup performance.
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy