Backup of VMWare VM snapshots stored in a non-default location

Last post 08-16-2019, 12:56 AM by jordanxu. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Backup of VMWare VM snapshots stored in a non-default location
    Posted: 08-13-2019, 10:18 AM

Hello,

I am running V11 SP15 and adding several new VMs running under VMWare ESXi 6.5 to our environment.  These VMs are running on several different physical hosts scattered across a wide geographical area, and are therefore configured in such a way that their snapshots are stored in a centralized datastore, which is at a completely different place than the VMs themselves (per the procedure documented at https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1002929).  I have a media agent in place at the location where the centralized datastore is, and would like to use that media agent to perform the backups.  The vCenter instance managing all of these VMs is also located at the centralized location.  Before I add these to Commvault, are there any special configuration steps or process changes (besides assigning them to the specific media agent) that I need to be aware of, to ensure they back up successfully?

I'm sorry if this has been answered previously; I searched the forums and couldn't find anything that appeared to be relevant.

Thank you,

Waide Yokom

• Re: Backup of VMWare VM snapshots stored in a non-default location
    Posted: 08-16-2019, 12:56 AM

Don't believe there's anything special to configure as long as the VSA proxy has access to the datastores in question where the snapshots reside. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy