Media Agent Planning

Last post 57 minutes ago by Boberic. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Media Agent Planning
    Posted: 08-27-2019, 5:44 PM

Backend Summary

Storage Network : 10GigE iSCSI

SAN : NetApp AFF300 ; 2 node cluster; 270TBs of SSD storage on 2 shelves.

Tape Library: HP MSL3040; 6 tape drives; 6 Gb/s SAS; LTO7

Clients: > 250VMs on 6 ESX hosts; 2 LARGE SQL clusters on Lenovo servers

==================================

Questions:

1. With Commvault 11, how many Media Agents would be recommended to handle the Intellisnap Primary and Aux to Tape for this size storage? With or without Dedupe?

2. Would DeDuplication be worth setting up for a DC of this size?

3. Is there a document that outlines different scenarios various Data Center sizes?

• Re: Media Agent Planning
    Posted: 08-28-2019, 1:18 PM

You can check some requirements and sizing here - http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=1647.htm

Posted: 08-28-2019, 8:48 PM

Yes I've begun reading through this information already.

My question is more related to how much / many SAN disks can I present to each Media Agent as Data Path for Primary, Secondary Copies, etc.

Also, as a separate but major topic for me is:

I have 6 sas tape drives going to 2 media agents...

Should I have a Fan out SAS cable from one port on the MA HBA going to each tape drive? And then the 2nd MA has connections to the 2nd sas port on the drives?

Posted: 08-29-2019, 5:07 AM

Hi Smartodd

In regards to your question:

I believe you are obviously using RAID at the Storage Level and then providing LUNS to the MediaAgent before creating the Filesystem (at the OS layer), technically there is no limt to how many Mount Path you would like to create from a Commvault Perspective.  

However we would not recommend having multiple Copies pointing to the same backend Disk Storage Array (as this creates a single point of failure). So if your Storage Array goes offline, you lose your Primary and Secondary Copy. So by having different Copy pointing to different Storage, you eliminate the potential scenario where you might not be able to restore.

In regards to the SAS Tape Drive, the FAN-out configuration could definitely work as you are distributing the redundancy, in the off chance one MediaAgent goes offline, the other MediaAgent can still do the Backup/Aux Copy to Tape as it still has access.  (Side Node - ensure the firmware of your Tape Library is able to handle the SCSI reservation with the configuration that you are seeking)

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 57 minutes ago

If you got it working, I'd love to hear how beefy a server is needed to keep multiple LTO-7 tape drives over SAS happy.  

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy