Enabling Archive Mode in PostgreSQL 9.3.8 for a Full VM backup

Last post 09-16-2019, 2:10 PM by sravanthi. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Enabling Archive Mode in PostgreSQL 9.3.8 for a Full VM backup
    Posted: 09-08-2019, 9:58 AM
    Since the vendor for this application is no lonber reachable, we wanted to ensure that there is at least a Full VM backup on it.

This VM is very light since it is mainly used for digital signage. there is not much change going on as images are changed very few times in a month or week.

CommVault Support suggested that Archive Mode be turned on in order for a VM backup to work.

Is there a previous thread or a step by step guide on how to enable this in PostgreSQL?

I have no knowledge of PostgreSQL so I figured I ask you guys here.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
    PostgreSQL 9.3.8
     Is there a required disk partition for it as well?

Appreciate all the help and thanks in advance.

Roni

• Re: Enabling Archive Mode in PostgreSQL 9.3.8 for a Full VM backup
    Posted: 09-10-2019, 11:55 AM

Hi Roni,

Can we get some clarity on what exactly you are looking for here?

If you want to backup Postgres server, you need have postgresql iDA installed on your client.

We support dumpbased backups and fsbased backups for postgreSQL server.

You need to enable archive mode on postgreSQL server only if you are performing FSBased Backups.

Steps to configure archive log directory is documented here: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp16/article?p=21518.htm

Thanks,

Ganesh Kishan

Posted: 09-11-2019, 2:31 AM

Hi Ganesh,

This server is a VM running on a Windows Server OS

but the database for the application is PostgreSQL.

We just want a simple backup of the entire VM

in cases where it no longer boots or etc,

we can simply restore the entire VM and have the it backu in no time.

Now I contacted support and they said archive mode is turned on

in PostgreSQL and I need to turn it on with the help of the vendor

who installed the application. Unfortunately we have challenges

in having them to reply back.

So I need to do two things:

1. Enable Archive mode in postgreSQL
    2. have a Full VM backup of it.
    What I have on the server right now.
    Thanks for your help
    Posted: 09-11-2019, 3:10 AM

I have manged to dig up something as well in the gui of PostgreSQL and following the link you gave.

So I highlited the PostgreSQL, clicked on Tools>Server Configuration>postgresql.conf

This allowed me to view the conf file in a gui.

This allowed me to located certain setting items from the documentation you gave me.

which seems to be pretty straight forward.

but then the one below I seem to be a bit confused on how to key in the value

on the server I have made a folder

F:\Archive Log Dir

I hope this is some what making sense. I am sorry for I have no experience in PostgreSQL

Thanks for your help

Posted: 09-12-2019, 4:16 AM

Hi Roni,

You mentioned commvault support suggested you to enable archive mode for VM backup to work.

Do you have any TR number in which you discussed this?

This will help us to know the backuground and to suggest you how to proceed from here.

Thanks,

Ganesh Kishan

Posted: 09-12-2019, 4:23 AM

I did open a ticket but support told me to get the vendor to work with me in enabling the archive mode to on.

Then there were other issues that needed to be addressed on the CommVault server at the time and we cannot proceed further so I opted for the ticket to be closed.

these things that I posted are new things that I have discovered on my own as the vendor is no longer replying to use inspite or our requests numerous times. 

I had to figure it out as there is no backu on this machine in cases we had an issue with it.

Posted: 09-16-2019, 2:10 PM

Hi,

if you would like to backup complete VM using VSA agent, No need to enable archive log mode for post gres db. For Apllication consistency, please stop the postgres db/VM, do backup and start the db/VM if you are looking for one time backup.

if it needs to be backed up continuously, pre/post scripts might be needed to stop database before backup  for consistent backup of postgres db.

for More info on VSA backups, Please check

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp17/article?p=30795.htm

Thanks,

Sravanthi

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy