Running two Commserve on different Windows Versions... possible ?

Last post 11-07-2019, 4:47 AM by Thomas S. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Running two Commserve on different Windows Versions... possible ?
    Posted: 11-06-2019, 7:08 AM

Hello, everyone,

We recently installed Service Pack 16 on our Commserve to take advantage of the new failover function. Our second Commserve (standby) has to be completely rebuilt.  
    Our active Commserve runs Windows 2012 R2 as the operating system. We would like to use Windows 2016 as the operating system when installing the standby.
    Is there anything known that there can be problems when running Commvault on two different Windows versions ?

Yours sincerely

Thomas S.

• Re: Running two Commserve on different Windows Versions... possible ?
    Posted: 11-06-2019, 9:34 AM

Hi Thomas,

bext practice here is to have both match. so if target cell is 2016 I would upgrade the windows OS on active cell to 2016

The main thing here is the SQL DB versions and when a customer puts on a diff OS the SQL version is/may be different.

SQL versions must match for the log shipping part.

Gary Seibak
    Technical Account Manager - Commvault
    Posted: 11-06-2019, 10:14 AM

Hi, Gary,
    we currently only have one functioning Commserve. Can we install the second one with Win2016, configure Commvault, do a planned failover to update our active Commserve to Windows 2016 ?
    How critical would this be with regard to the SQL version if it were not possible to keep it on the same version during the transition period?

Yours sincerely

Thomas S.

Posted: 11-06-2019, 5:45 PM

It is highly recommended to keep the same operating system at both ends, but that said it is quite likely that it will work. It is critical to active CommServe and passive CommServe really need to run the same SQL version.  If the passive node is on a more recent version of SQL Server than the primary then you will not be able to gracefully failback to the active node because you will neither be able to log ship in the reverse direction, nor restore a newer SQL Server DR Backup file onto the primary that is being decomissioned!  Also in my experience it is best to work with support before you start the CommServe LiveSync as I have seen many instances where the stored credentials on the passive node do not match active - causing a fault in failover process.

Posted: 11-07-2019, 4:47 AM

Thank you very much for the exact information.
    I will discuss the next steps with my team, but assume that we have to bridge a time with two different operating systems.
    I will focus on having the same version of SQL running on both systems.

Yours sincerely

Thomas S.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy