Properly deleting retired Virtual Machines from Commvault

Last post 12-01-2019, 1:14 PM by jhshen. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Properly deleting retired Virtual Machines from Commvault
    Posted: 11-27-2019, 4:03 PM

Everyday, I generate a Commvault Job Failure Summary report and I've noticed that several decommissioned virtual machines keep appearing in the various failed sections despite my efforts to remove them. They re-generate on Commvault.

In Client Computer Groups -> Virtual Machine (VSA Discovered) group there are numerous virtual machines and most of them have the "grayed out" icon. The same VM also appears in other groups if I assigned them in their properties. A few of them have been decommissioned so I've for that retired VM I select All Tasks -> Delete and I confirm the deletion in the confirmation text. I've done this for each group the retired VM appears.

The problem is that after about 24 hours, the deleted message automatically gets "re-created" and re-appears on Commvault

Here's an example of the report error after the deleted VM is re-generated:

•  41938815 [commap04/vsbkp] [11/26/2019 11:12:05 ]: Virtual machine [ECMARCP01] was not found. Please verify that the virtual machine still exists and that the host is in the connected state. If the virtual machine does not exist remove it from the subclient. If the virtual machine does exist reselect the virtual machine and re-add it to the subclient content.

•  [ECMARCP01] Virtual Machine was not found.
    Protected Virtual Machines:
    Failure Reason:Virtual Machine was not found.

What can be done to permanently remove all retired VM's from Commvault so they don't re-appear after a while?

• Re: Properly deleting retired Virtual Machines from Commvault
    Posted: 11-28-2019, 6:06 PM

I've noticed that in some cases, the Virtual Machine was turned off but not completely deleted from disk on VMware vSphere Client.

But there are a few servers that were totally removed from VMware but such examples stil appear. I will wait to see if they get recreated again.

Posted: 11-29-2019, 3:42 AM

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11019.htm

Number of days to keep deleted VMs

Definition: During a data aging job, VMs that are deleted in the management interface for the hypervisor, such as VMware vCenter are deleted. However, you can specify extended retention for such deleted VMs by specifying number of days you want to retain the VMs.

Default Value: 30 days

Range: 7 days to 90 days

Usage: By default, the value is set to 30 which means that the deleted VMs will be retained for 30 days after they are deleted in the management interface for the hypervisor.

You can set the value between 7 days to 90 days to retain the deleted VMs.

Have you check if above condition is met? 

Posted: 11-29-2019, 1:34 PM

I was able to see the value for: Number of days to keep deleted VMs which is set at 30. But I'm confused as to why in this particular case the deleted VM's get "re-generated" in the Virtual Macine (VSA Discovered) group while others get permanently removed.

In other words, if a VM exists in Client Computers, and then I turn off the VM and Delete it. And on Commvault seleted Release License from Client and eventelly delete the client, then all references for that retired cilent will permanently disappear on Commvault.

But in my current case, there are four VM's that are deleted, and several attempts to retire it and delete it on Commvault is to no avail as within 24 hours, they re-appear on Virtual Macine (VSA Discovered) and attempt to back up which will then cause errors as Commvault cannot reach the machine.

Posted: 12-01-2019, 1:14 PM

Talking to tech support, it was found that it was first necessary to remove the VM references at:

Client Computers / (Name) / Virtual Server / VMware / defaultBackupSet / SC_T2_NoQuiesce / Properties a before remove it from any references from Groups VSA Discovered.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy