Microsoft Clustring Server - File System Agent

Last post 11-30-2019, 7:53 PM by Liam. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Microsoft Clustring Server - File System Agent
    Posted: 11-30-2019, 6:20 PM

Hi All,
    Need you help in installing a Windows file system agent in my test lab on Microsoft cluster server.
    So I wanted to start and look into Microsoft cluster server and check how it's working with commvault agents.
    I'm new to Microsoft clustering so bear with me.
    So the lab I set up is:
    2 VM, each with C and D drive:
    CV-Test01 (Windows Server 2016)
    CV-Test02 (Windows Server 2016)
    so I installed failover clustering feature in each server\"Node" and configured the cluster on one of them.

The cluster name is: CV-Test

I installed commvault file system core+file system in each VM under disk C:\.

The end goal is to backup disk D and that it need to be shared between VM, so let's say I put "test.txt" in disk D in CV-Test01, it's need to replicate also to CV-Test02.

On top of this, I want the commvault file system agent to backup disk D in a windows cluster client from the active node.

So let's say I started to backup test.txt file in CV-Test01 and shutdown the server (purposely), the backup should continue to backup the file from CV-Test02.

Would really appreciate your help with this as I can't rep my around it.

thank you.

• Re: Microsoft Clustring Server - File System Agent
    Posted: 11-30-2019, 6:54 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 12-12-2019, 11:31 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,777

Sounds like you have it set up right. WHen node 1 goes down, expect a loss of control error in the CV console for the backup job. In the cluster manager you should see the GxPlugin service shift over to the now active node with the clustered object. When the job retries it should pick up where it left off. 

Posted: 11-30-2019, 7:46 PM

Aplynx:

Sounds like you have it set up right. WHen node 1 goes down, expect a loss of control error in the CV console for the backup job. In the cluster manager you should see the GxPlugin service shift over to the now active node with the clustered object. When the job retries it should pick up where it left off. 

Hi Liam,

Thanks for your replay and clarify the commvault side of the process.

The thing i don't get is the Microsoft cluster shared cluster drive / data replication and commvault job results directory configuration.

As it states in commvsult documentation the job results directory needs to reside in shared cluster drive.

So i seen some youtube videos and tutorials about configuring virtual iSCSI disks that both machine can share, the thing is first of all it doesn't seem to work with windows cluster as the scsi disk configured on each of the machines.

Second of all, configuring the iscsi disk, even if it worked doesn't make sense as the source disk is local to one of the CV-Test VM's and if it fails the disk die with it.

In the end, i want two machines that act as one and shares a disk (or 2 or 1000) that the data on it would show up on each node and could be backed up by commvault from the cluster client and it doesn't matter from which node.

Would appreciate you and others thought on the subject.

Posted: 11-30-2019, 7:53 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 12-12-2019, 11:31 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,777

If you setup a Windows Cluster, there will be a shared Q: drive for the cluster quorum and then the clustered drive would be in the 'role'. Typically the job results is place on the target data drive for the backup. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/failover-clustering/create-failover-cluster

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy