Oracle restores - create an RMAN logical dump file

Last post 01-15-2020, 8:26 PM by antechinus. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Oracle restores - create an RMAN logical dump file
    Posted: 01-13-2020, 9:45 PM

Hi all,

I am experimenting with variations on Oracle restoration/recovery.

In particular, I would like to be able to *create* an RMAN logical dump file from a backup in Commvault.

I can certainly create a CV sub-client to make a backup *from* a dump file and I can use that data to restore / recover a DB.

But I want to *create* the dump file as a complete entity so I can give it to the DBAs to do their own thing with it. DBAs are to be locked out of the source RMAN where I have CV installed as all backups and log management are under the control of CV - DBAs are not to touch this.  But if I can create an RMAN dump file, DBAs can play on their own systems.

Is this what I want? :

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=20540.htm

(application-free restore)

Right now my test library is dead and am waiting for the storage team to resucitate it so I cannot immediately test this process for myself.  But if I can understand whether or not I am heading in the right direction that would be very helpful

Thanks

• Re: Oracle restores - create an RMAN logical dump file
    Posted: 01-15-2020, 1:15 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 01-21-2020, 1:57 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,701

That would be one way to do it.  Another way could be to create a "Logical Dump" subclient that allows you to target/back up a particular schema in a database as a dump based backup.  Then for restore you can restore the backup as an Oracle export file to the local file system.   Then, using that dump file the DBA can import to the database of their choosing.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 01-15-2020, 1:44 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 01-21-2020, 1:57 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,701

One additional method I just thought of (After I posted my reply) is the "Oracle Table Restores" feature.  If you enable table browse on the Oracle subclient, we can perform a table level restore which can also restore a schema as an Oracle "dump/export" file.   This file can then be copied to any server and imported using native Oracle utilities. 

Each of these methods have some prerequisites and limitations, but hopefully at least one will for the bill for your use case.

Let us know if this helps.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 01-15-2020, 8:26 PM

thanks efg

I did see the logical dump subclient ref but have not worked thru it all yet. 

I am not a DBA so my questions may be rather naive, but have I interpreted correctly that the result of

and dump/export are NOT the same thing?

Regardless, I got my library back and

has generated files which I have asked the DBAs to use for a restore / recovery.  Hope this works!

thanks

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy