TSM to Commvault conversion questions

Last post 02-25-2020, 5:46 AM by lukasz.borek. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • TSM to Commvault conversion questions
    Posted: 02-21-2020, 11:42 AM

I am a 20 year TSM admin tasked with migrating all our TSM environment to Commvault within the next 4 months. That in and of itself is not to daunting but the issue is the billing/reporting. Due to the nature of TSM we billed on the backend storage amounts and not the front end. We need to continue to bill based on back end storage usage until contracts can be modified. So I saw a thread that discussed back end billing, but it was vague and mentions a stored proceedure that used QS_Backendstorage (https://forum.commvault.com/forums/thread/52859.aspx) Where do I find this stored proceedure? I l looked at the tables and do not see any backendstorage table within the CommServ db. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am still learning the ropes of Commvault and am used to doing direct SQL queries of the TSM DB for all my reporting needs.

• Re: TSM to Commvault conversion questions
    Posted: 02-21-2020, 1:08 PM

Hi Xerxes,

I would use the chargeback report for this - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp17/article?p=38095.htm

There is a commandline method as well that is tied to the command you reference - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/cli/qscripts/CommServ.QS_BackendStorage.Readme.html

Hope this helps.

Gary Seibak
    Technical Account Manager - Commvault
  • Re: TSM to Commvault conversion questions
    Posted: 02-25-2020, 5:46 AM

QS_Backendstorage can be executed from SQL Managment Studio : Databases -> CommServ -> Programability -> Stored Procedures ->  dbo.QS_BackendStorage -> Right Click and Excute. 

It returns table with Client Name, Storage Policy, Application Size and Backed size. 

Another storage procesure you may be interested in is QS_CommCellUsageReport. It helps with licensing chargeback. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy