I'm reaching out to see if anyone else has come accross this situation. I am having an issue with our VSA proxies disconnecting during backups using hotadd transprot mode.
The vsbkp agent on [<vsa_proxy>] has disconnected unexpectedly. Please ensure that services are running and that [<vsa_proxy>] is able communicate with [<vsa_proxy>].
The configuration is as follows:
- Each vm cluster has it own proxies.
- Using hotadd transportation mode
- Each proxy is a Windows 2016 8x16 with automount disabled and scrubed
- Streams are set to 5 each proxy.
- VMware version is 6.7 cu3
I've opened up a support case with CommVault. Per their notes:
There is a known VMware issue where the hotadd manager hangs when more than 5 streams per proxy are used causing the CVD process to wait and timeout
- This is more prevalent in 6.5 but was also notice on 6.0
- There are 2 resolution here, update VMware to 6.7.2+ or force the backup to use NBD mode
- If VMware was running 6.5 we would force the 6.7+ VDDK from the CV side
To isolate the issue without any VMware changes we recommend to force the backup transport mode to NBD
I want to use hotadd mode since NBD is slower.