Update local CV Agent on Unixsystems

Last post 06-25-2020, 8:13 PM by efg. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Update local CV Agent on Unixsystems
    Posted: 04-28-2020, 8:27 AM

Hello everyone,

can customers update the agents on their system themselves via a command?
    This question came up today because some of our customers still have very old agents in use and we are not allowed to update them centrally.
    To get permission from each customer would be a very big effort.

With kind regards

Thomas

• Re: Update local CV Agent on Unixsystems
    Posted: 04-28-2020, 2:12 PM

Hi Thomas, see details here - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=2009.htm

you can create a custom package and provide that package to the customer to install locally on the client.

Gary Seibak
    Technical Account Manager - Commvault
    Posted: 04-29-2020, 6:47 AM

StorageGuy007:

Hi Thomas, see details here - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=2009.htm

you can create a custom package and provide that package to the customer to install locally on the client.

Hello @StorageGuy007,

when commvault provides new updates again and I run the command ./InstallUpdates in the directory /opt/commvault/Base64 on the client, the client should be updated after all
    Unfortunately I cannot test this case yet, because the client is up to date.
    Has anyone already gained experience with this method ?
    This way would be very easy and fast, as I would only have to write a small documentation.

With kind regards

Thomas

Posted: 04-29-2020, 11:08 AM

Hi Thomas,

yes that will work for hotfix packs. I wasn't sure by what you meant by "by really old agents" so I thought you were referring to V10 clients and wanting to upgrade them to V11.

if the client just has an older hotfix pack then yes just grab the latest tar file and provide that so they can extract and run InstallUpdates

Gary Seibak
    Posted: 04-30-2020, 4:49 AM

StorageGuy007:

Hi Thomas,

yes that will work for hotfix packs. I wasn't sure by what you meant by "by really old agents" so I thought you were referring to V10 clients and wanting to upgrade them to V11.

if the client just has an older hotfix pack then yes just grab the latest tar file and provide that so they can extract and run InstallUpdates

Hi StorageGuy007,

I hope this command also works for service pack updates.
    In case we change the environment from SP16 to SP18

With kind regards

Thomas

Posted: 06-23-2020, 5:08 AM

Finally there are new Hotfixes available.
    Now I tried so install them on my test system, but it says that there are no updates available. In the CommCell Console the status is "Needs Update" but the Update directory an the client is empty. Can I push the updates to the client or what went wrong ?
    I added a few screenshots to visualise my problem

Regards
    Thomas

Posted: 06-23-2020, 9:27 AM

Hi Thomas,

please open a ticket with the support and they can walk you through this. It will be easier to actually see that process your are using and they can help on a live session.

Gary Seibak
    Posted: 06-25-2020, 8:13 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 12-01-2020, 2:10 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,755

Hi Thomas,

Had a thought about this...  Just about everything you can do from the console can be done using a "qcommand".  That being said you can right click a client in the commcell and select the options to push install the latest updates.  Then rather then clicking "OK" to start the update, click "Save as Script" and save the script to any "Unix/Linux" client.   This will save the update job as a shell script with an accompanying "xml" file.   Once saved all you need to do is change the client name to match with your desired client, and the result will be a command that starts the push install for that client.  This will work for multiple clients as well... just start the push update from the commcell and use save as script from there as well.  The xml file just needs to be tweaked to add/change the clients as appropriate.  Then when the script is executed it would be as if the job was started directly from the GUI as a "push" update install.

Not sure if this will work or be acceptable for your environment/situation, but thought it might be helpful.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy