Can a Media Agent be attached to two CommCells?

Last post 05-30-2020, 11:25 PM by Anthony.Hodges. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Can a Media Agent be attached to two CommCells?
    Posted: 05-20-2020, 4:26 PM

Hi,

I'm considering/researching creating a new CommCell, because I was told by Support that creating a new CommCell is the only way to take advantage of Indexing V2 on VMware clients.

I've found documentation on how to move things from one CommCell to another, but is there any way to set up and test the Media Agents in the new CommCell without removing them from the old one? Can they maybe run separate instances of the software per CommCell?

Thanks!

Sheree

• Re: Can a Media Agent be attached to two CommCells?
    Posted: 05-20-2020, 10:01 PM

Hi Sheree, I implement Indexing V2 on VMware clients frequently and I have not had to use a new CommCell.  A gotcha for V2 is that the way the data is indexed means that you cannot upgrade the existing VMware psuedoclient, but a new one can be created using a different hostname (e.g. the shortname or full fqdn).

I encourage you to take this back to support and as I feel you can get a much better solution (unless support have identified a much more complex problem).

Posted: 05-21-2020, 11:46 AM

Hi Anthony,

v2 is enabled in our CommCell, and we have other v2 clients, but when I create a new VMware client, it creates as v1, per the Indexing Version Status report.

Support told me this is because the CommCell existed prior to v11sp14.  Have you been able to create new v2 VMware clients on CommCells which existed prior to v11sp14?

Thanks!

Sheree

Posted: 05-21-2020, 11:58 AM
    If you don't have the upgrade indexing to V2 workflow, you can download it from store.commvault.com. By default Indexing V1 is created, so you need to upgrade using the eorkflow before using it.
    Posted: 05-21-2020, 2:38 PM

Hello Shree,

Indexing V2 was enabled by default on new Commcell starting SP14 only.

For existing customer we ask them run workflow to enable indexing V2. we are currently having some enhancement for indexing v2 going and we are not enocuraging customer to go to Indexing V2 until SP20 is not released.

can you let me know reason behind going to indexing v2?

-Ashwin

Posted: 05-21-2020, 8:25 PM

Anthony:
    The last missing puzzle piece was that the Upgrade to IndexingV2 workflow does, in fact, work on VSA clients, but only if they have no prior backups.  I created a new one, and the workflow was able to convert it; verified using the Indexing Version Status report.

Ashwin:
    We have VMs with 7TB VMDKs, and Support told us that Indexing V2 can use multiple streams per VMDK.  What's the advantage of using V1 until SP20?

Thanks!

Sheree

Posted: 05-26-2020, 3:57 PM

Regarding the original question: "Can a Media Agent be attached to two CommCells?"

yes that's possible.That's also something we did in the past.
    Of course, you need do to 2 instances installations. Instance001 for commcell 1, Instance002 for commcell 2. 
    That makes it a bit more complex of course, but works.We used method that for a cv9 > cv10 migration, using the same media agents. (back when the performance of commvault didn't suck :) )

Posted: 05-27-2020, 10:03 PM

Hi Bart,

Good to know--thanks I'm totally glad I didn't have to create a new CommCell this time, but thanks for the info in case it comes in handy in the future.

Posted: 05-27-2020, 10:09 PM

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the save--I really didn't want to build a new CommCell!  I often get the wrong answer 1-2 times before I get the right one--from Support, from my local Commvault reps, and in the forum; it's an extremely frustrating aspect of Commvault "culture".

I really do appreciate your help.

Posted: 05-30-2020, 11:25 PM

Hi Ashwin,

I am interested to know what this enhancment could be? Back when Indexing V2 for VMware was an SP14 early release, I wrote a blog article (https://www.perfekt.com.au/indexing-version-2-for-vmware-with-commvault2/) that discussed at length how fellow Commvault customers could take advantage of it.  Some of the feedback since I have had regarding Indexing V2 for VMware has been they don't like how you cannot restore directly from tape (requires staging) and the Collect File Details has been taken away.  Given that Commvault has been introducing Index Servers to collect metadata from backup/archive with other iDataAgents, can we expect to see Collect File Details re-introduced in Feature Release 11.20?

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy